| We Were Down There! - A view of the circular gorge from above. I almost had a heart attack while my husband walked to the edge, and took this photo for me. I get vertigo to the point of nearly fainting from looking down or up, but he enjoys heights. |
| Sunlight, Oh, Glorious Sunlight - This picture doesn't even look real, but it is! The sunlight makes the leaves in the foreground look like painted glass, while the back looks like a Seurat painting. |
| Like a Fairytale - This picture almost captures the beauty of gazing across the stagnant green lake at the hundreds of hues in the trees on the other side. I imagine a castle hidden amongst them, with a princess waiting to be rescued inside. |
| Trees around the Lake - This shot could be on the cover of a Matthiessen State Park brochure. There were a couple people fishing along one of the side-paths, but I do not know if they caught anything. We also saw some massive oyster-like shells in the brush as we circled the lake, but all of my internet searches to identify them have been futile. |
| How Far We've Come - These rocks and debris usually line the bottom of a rushing stream. But the extreme drought we have been experiencing made it possible for us to use them to walk along the very bottom of the canyon floor There was mud in some places, and small puddles in others, but with only a couple missteps, we managed to make it through. |
| Between Two Trees - A view of one of the many sloping hillsides from between two trees. I love the shadows and sunlight in this picture. |
| Deep into the Woods - One of the trails we walked was made for horses. There were no real benches, but plenty of natural ones. This is a view up the steepest part of the path. The depth of the trees is breathtaking. (The only other thing I would say if you decide to take this path is to have someone take the job of poop patroller because horses do actively use it!) |
| Do Not Cross - You can vaguely see the path from beyond this branch. The sunshine hitting the upper-left corner of the photo adds a whole new dimension to it, I think. |
| Forest - An untouched patch of nature. The blanket of autumn leaves on the ground, with the still-green plants growing out of them, reminds me of humans reluctant to change. But mother nature always wins! |
| From Inside the Dell - This photo gives a good perspective of just how deep the canyon goes. I also love the way the empty trunks, and wiry branches create a creepy shadow along the wall on the right. To me the shadow resembles a naked female dancer, kneeling on one knee, ponytail dangling behind, with her arms raised ready to pounce! |
| Deep in the Dell - A view around one of the corners from within the canyon. One of the reasons I thought Matthiessen was so different from other parks I have been to is the way I felt like I was entering a new world around every bend. The sense of anticipation I felt as we explored was unprecedented. |
| Fallen, But Not Dead - If you look carefully at this fallen tree, you will notice that it's roots are still holding tight to the ground, and it's leaves have just begun to turn yellow. I think this is a very inspiring photo. |
| Look How Low We Got! - Looking up the side of a hill into the sunshine above. The temperature in the sun reached just over 80 during our trip, but deep within the gorges and canyons, it felt no warmer than 72. A perfect hiking day! |
| So Pretty! - The shadows of the trees on the lake, with the fiesta of colors behind, makes this one of my favorite pictures. |
| Ground Level View - This shot is almost dizzying in it's detail. I almost cropped the dying plant on the left out, but I left it as a representation of reality. Winter is setting in, and the pair on the right will soon wither like their comrade. |
| What's around the Bend? - With a hillside raining leaves on our heads from the left, and a sun-kissed limestone wall on our right, we pressed on along the trail. Although it looks very secluded, the lowest level of the park is probably the most popular. There were people hanging out at almost every dead end, and couples trekking along with their dogs. |
| What's Under There? - A small waterfall sometimes topples over this small ledge. I was curious if any treasure may be hidden in the darkness beneath, but my husband would not let me stick my hand in there. |
| The Path to the Right - A view down the paved path to the right of where we stopped for our "First Lunch." Part of the upper level weaves off towards some lodging accommodations, and is well maintained, and easy to walk along. It is a dead end, but one of the more secluded ways to go. This photo is meant to be viewed in conjunction with "The Path to the Left." |
| The Path to the Left - Paired with "The Path to the Right," viewers can get a good idea of what we saw from the bench we stopped to eat our lunch. |
WOW!!!! You really got some wonderful shots!!! Really enjoyed looking at them, felt like we were there!!!!
ReplyDelete