Superstitious Beliefs Getting More Common (Discovery News, by Emily Sohn, 10/29/2010)
With Halloween just days away, the news sites I frequent are loaded with stories about ghosts, zombies, and graveyards. Most of the stories are only moderately interesting, but the one linked above caught my attention for several reasons.
According to sociologist Christopher Bader, of Baylor University in Waco, one of the co-authors of the latest research, there is no "single profile" of a person who believes in the supernatural. The reasons people choose to believe also vary widely. They did find a correlation between those who hold religious beliefs, and those accepting of supernatural phenomenon. "This could be because they are open enough to believe in the unknown, but not so rigid in their religious beliefs to reject mysterious experiences altogether." None of these findings surprised me.
What had me scratching my head is the stipulation that superstitious belief is on the rise. According to the researchers, one piece of evidence for this increase is the number of television shows currently devoted to supernatural topics. "In the 1970s and 80s, Bader said, there were maybe one or two paranormal-themed shows in the TV line-up. Today, there are dozens, including programs about ghost hunters, psychic kids, haunted homes and even possessed pets." I would argue that, because of the huge number of channels and programming slots to fill today, the number of shows is actually proportionate to the past.
One piece of the sociologist's research I can actually confirm is the dilemma Bigfoot believers often experience. "[T]heir beliefs contradicted their lifestyles so much that many of them were plagued by anxiety, which drove them even further to stick to their beliefs." Though I did not know him personally, I am aware of a professor at my Alma Matter who was plagued by misgivings and mockery in his professional life due to his devotion to the Bigfoot phenomenon.
Personally, I don't rule anything out, but will not become a believer until firm facts are found. I will keep this post updated if anything new on this topic surfaces.
___
No comments:
Post a Comment