The first post in this series deals with American's unwillingness to embrace freedom of religion, and separation of Church and States, as it applies to modern Islam. This second installment will deal with how some of our politicians and citizens treat homosexuals.
Before I begin, I actually have a theory to expound, and test, in regards to this topic. I believe that everyone against homosexuality sites their religion as the reason. Atheists, and agnostics are more open-minded when it comes to accepting everyone, regardless of sexuality, as an equal. The first article I chose to write about in this post does an excellent job of validating my point.
_
Paladino disputes anti-gay comments attributed to him (CNN, 10/11/2010)
After reading the above linked article, I was enraged enough to write this post, even though I have avoided the topic of homosexuality for a very long time. It hits very close to home for me, especially when paired with religion. But one particular quote had me so anxious, that I needed to comment.
"Paladino said he didn't want children 'to be brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is an equally valid or successful option,' compared to heterosexuality. 'It isn't.'
The accusations and denials are not what is important to me. Who said them is honestly equally irrelevant, as their voice is only one of way-too-many in the vast sea of American bigots. What does irk me to no end is the use of the term" brainwashing" in association with the growing acceptance of homosexuality in American culture. I can't get too mad at the speaker, however, because it is due to his Catholic-style brainwashing that he holds his hateful opinions. However, his inability to examine the origins of his own views, an obstacle so many faithful Christians suffer from, at least bears mentioning.
___
10/12
Fewer than half of Americans oppose gay marriage, poll finds (CNN, 10/7/2010)
According to the above linked article, age may be the reason more younger folks support gay marriage. "Americans in the so-called Millennial Generation -- those born after the 1980s -- favor gay marriage by 53 percent to 39 percent, the poll found. Among those born between 1928 and 1945, just 29 percent favor allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally, while 59 percent are opposed." My theory, that religion is the biggest influencing factor on whether someone supports or opposes gay marriage, would fall in line with this finding, because older folks tend to be more religious.
Though more Americans still oppose it than support it, there are some positive signs. "Fewer than half of Americans oppose legalized same-sex marriage, according to a new poll . . . with significant shifts in public opinion on the issue just since last year." There really may be a rainbow at the end of the tunnel!
___
10/20
U.S. expected to appeal order lifting 'don't ask, don't tell' policy (CNN, 10/20/2010)
What a nightmare 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' has become! According to the above linked article, recruiters are being told to accept gay and lesbian applicants. At they same time, they must inform these new recruiters that their eligibility to serve may again be revoked pending an appeal in the court systems. The wise thing to do would have been to not accept any gays or lesbians until all of the loopholes are worked out, and their safety and long-term stay in the military can be confirmed. But this IS our government we are talking about. . .
___
10/29
Arkansas school board member to resign over anti-gay post (CNN, 10/29/2010)
I was going to leave Mr. McCance alone to reap what he has sown, but this quote infuriated me so much that I had to delve into this story:
"'I would never support suicide for any kids,'" he stated to the press with a straight face yesterday. That is a bold-faced lie, because he did!
Let me backtrack a moment for those of you who are not following this latest episode of bigotry in America. Mr. Clint McCance was once a member of his district's school board. The district was holding an initiative that encouraged people to wear purple to show solidarity with the five gay teens who had committed suicide this year across the country. Mr. McCance posted some very derogatory statements on his Facebook page about this event, including this line:
"'The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide.'"
Somehow, school board members obtained copies of these private postings, as did the local newspaper in Pleasant Plains, Arkansas.
Now, Mr. McCance is reaping what he has sown. Hate mail, nasty phone calls, and even death threats have led to him sending his family to another state, his resignation from the school board, and plans to install a security system at his home. To the folks perpetrating these counter-attacks, I would only advise that there are more productive ways to show solidarity with the gay community. Hate is hate in any form, and your actions just perpetuate divisiveness.
Instead, talk about this story to your friends and family. Or, if your not comfortable initiating the conversation, take small steps by standing up for gays and lesbians whenever you hear derogatory statements about them.. You know that what Mr. McCance wrote was wrong, so don't be afraid to voice your opinion if you hear people saying similar things. It is only when straights and gays stand together against bigotry that we will succeed in finally washing it from our land.
On another note, this case demonstrates well my theory that religion is behind much of the bigotry in America. Mr. McCance's view of homosexuality as a sin directly informed his opinion that suicide amongst this sector of society was an act of repentance.
"W'e are honoring the fact that they sinned and killed therselves because of their sin,'" he wrote.
The final take-away I would like to mention in regard to this story is the dangers of Facebook, and the internet in general. Anything you or I post can be read by anybody else. There is no such thing as privacy on the internet.
___
11/9
Michigan assistant AG fired after targeting openly gay student leader (CNN, 11/9/2010)
This one will be short and sweet: Though I despise the assistant attorney general of Michigan's actions outside of the office, they are the responsibility of the police to monitor, not his boss. If the he did in fact use his work computer and telephone to spread his "Christian First Amendment Rights" (hate), then he deserves everything that is coming to him.
___
11/30
Pentagon study: Gays: Gays could serve with no harm (Yahoo News via AP by Anne Flaherty, 11/30/2010)
I have left this post alone on purpose for the past several weeks, awaiting the results of the survey the Pentagon conducted regarding the impact of gays in the military. "The survey is based on responses by some 115,000 troops and 44,200 military spouses to more than a half million questionnaires distributed last summer." Today, I found the article linked above on Yahoo News. Though they are still speaking off the record because the report has not yet been officially released, officials have stated that "[A] clear majority of respondents don't care if gays serve openly, with 70 percent predicting that lifting the ban would have positive, mixed or no results." But, of course, politics may prevail, and the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law may stay in place through the end of the year. "The House has already voted to overturn the law as part of a broader defense policy bill. But Senate Republicans have blocked the measure because they say not enough time has been allowed for debate on unrelated provisions in the bill." Typical Republican stalling tactic, and getting really old really fast, in my humble opinion.
___
1/31
Pentagon discusses steps toward ending 'don't ask, don't tell' (CNN, by Charley Keyes, 1/29/2011)
Notice that none of the terrible repercussions mentioned by the Christian right and wacko Republican moralists have come to pass since the law has been repealed. There has been no mass exodus from the military, and recruiting is not being affected.
___
2/9
Roots of anti-gay hate abroad traced to U.S. (MSNBC, Rachel Maddow)
The above linked video clip should be watched by every American who thinks they can agree with part of what right-wing religious wackos preach, while disregarding the parts they don't necessarily agree with. Even if you don't hate gays, your support for evangelical leaders can directly result in tragedies abroad. And if you do believe in the hate-filled rhetoric anti-gay preachers spew, you seriously need to re-evaluate the values your religion's founder stood for. Jesus would be on the side of David Kato.
___
4/6
In a country where we value our freedom, it is ironic that the seemingly basic choice of how to live, and with whom, is such a contentious political issue. According to an article about the politics of the census on CNN, "Utah, home to the headquarters for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and to the nation's largest Mormon population, was the second-fastest-growing state in the last decade, seeing a 24 percent population spike. The other three fastest-growing states -- Nevada, Arizona and Idaho -- all have substantial Mormon minorities."* Reading this made me remember something I thought of the other night before bed. More and more Americans are accepting gay couples. At what point does polygamy gain the same acceptance?
Don't get me wrong. I realize the issues surrounding underage sexual abuse in LDS are severe, and very worrisome. But I think we make the assumption that polygamy leads to these crimes. I don't think this is always, or even usually, the case.
I believe it is a nasty twist of fate that folks who want to live as polygamist are associated with child sexual abuse. I have watched several documentaries and read dozens of articles about the practice, and have come to believe polygamist will be the gays of the next fifty years; meaning their rights will finally be realized, and fought for by forward-thinking individuals.
*8 political takeaways from the census
___
5/9
Why Sean Avery's endorsement of gay marriage is important (Yahoo Sports, by Greg Wyshynski, 5/8/2011)
I don't know much about hockey. I had never even heard of the New York Rangers, or Sean Avery, until I read the above linked article. I do, however, know an act of selflessness when I see one. Mr. Avery's stand in support of gay marriage qualifies, in my opinion. Granted, he will benefit from the publicity surrounding his new ad campaign. But I would much rather a sports figure get attention for something as positive as supporting equal rights, rather than criminal allegations or womanizing, like we usually hear about in the news.
No comments:
Post a Comment