Me

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Matthiessen State Park - The Rock Collection

The Perfect Ledge - I don't know if the white splotches are bird poo or some kind of fungus, but I love how they look amongst the greenery growing on this ledge.
Sun and Shadow - Half in the sunlight, half consumed by darkness, this chunk of stone is confused!

Mossy Rock - My husband took this picture of a completely overgrown rock.



Looking up at the Sun - This picture makes me feel small, but I love it!

Hidden Granite - I spotted this chunk of granite deposited near one of the stairs.  Most of the rocks we saw were sandstone, so finding this seemed unusual.

Dead End - After crossing a slew of slippery rocks, and balancing across a log, we found ourselves at this dead end.  It got very muddy the closer we walked toward the ledge.
Close-up of the Cavern - I took this shot looking up into one of the caverns.  It reminds me of looking up into a clay bowl, spun by hand on a potters wheel.

Ancient Water Lines - I love seeing marks left by the past.  This shot gives a glimpse of both ancient water lines, and the sand beneath.
A Little Cavern - This is a very pretty part of the lower canyon, but also a very popular place.  A school group, church group, and family were all here the same time we were.  That is why I don't know if the range of colors on the stones is natural, or a result of human contact.  Either way, it's awfully pretty.
A Rocky Ridge- The debris pile at the bottom makes me wonder if the stream doesn't sometimes pour over this little ledge.  

Green on Stone - A typical view up the side of the dell.  The sliver of sunshine, and small bunch of purple flowers make this picture extra pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment