Me

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sound Off

This morning I am going to try something new.  Since I have begun blogging, I have read hundreds of articles for which I have one or two comments scribbled down, but not enough to warrant creating an entirely new thread.  Sometimes I am able to slyly tack these ideas onto an existing one, but often they are lost as the pages turn in my notebook.  Thus, I created this thread called "Sound Off."

My plan is to use "Sound "Off" in a casual manner to keep track of these ideas, while always allowing for the possibility of a creative spark to take hold.  So, though I am going into each of these "blurbs" thinking I have very little, i.e. no more than a paragraph or two, to say, that doesn't necessarily mean things will always turn out that way.  Like the earlier thread I started called "Ramblings" that is dedicated to fiction, "Sound Off" is always going to be written in my unique, but grammatically correct style, about reality.  However, my conclusions regarding the theories and statistics presented may be woefully lacking.   (And if I heard a story on CNN, or remember reading something at the doctors office, my paraphrasing may be missing proper citations.  But any direct quotes I use will always be properly documented.)  Basically, think of this thread as a work in progress. 

So, without further delay, I present to you my first installment of "Sound Off."
___
I am very disappointed in President Obama, and his administration's, decision to pressure David Cameron to forgo/lessen military budget cuts.  I admire the Brits attempt at saving money.  I wish our government would learn something from the following quote:

"Relics of the Cold War — including aging tanks and heavy artillery — will be sacrificed as Britain looks to focus on threats from al-Qaida related terrorism and bolster its cyber defenses."
Source:  UK's Cameron announces military austerity plan  (by David Stringer, 10/19/2010)

I think the Brits are finally waking up to the fact that we, meaning the U.S. and her allies, cannot sustain our role as the world's watchdog forever.  At some point, our "defense spending," needs to be just that.


**

I am also very disappointed in BP.  If they really want to clear their image, they shouldn't go from one extreme to another so quickly.  No one believes that their bonus structure for the fourth quarter of this year, which will be based entirely upon safety, is more than a ploy so that we forget the real facts.  I am sure once the world has moved on to bemoan the next great disaster, safety will become worth 10% or less of employees quarterly bonuses.
___
10/20
A man is suing a tuna manufacturer and his local grocer because he got mercury poisoning from eating ten cans of tuna per day.  The reason he stated for consuming such an insane amount of "sea chicken" is because the tuna company advertised it's heart benefits on the container.

Hearing this story from my husband made me do some quick math.  If this man were to make tuna noodle casserole, and add 2 cans per batch, he would need to eat 3/4 of a batch per day to keep up with his 1.5 can quota.  If he were to make the tuna into salad for sandwiches, he would be using a ton of mayo, and thus counteracting any health benefits.  And, if he were eating it cat-style, straight up out of the can on crackers or something. . . well, that is just disgusting.  His shit must have been like tar, and his breath like a diseased hooker's vagina!

***

Did you know Homer Simpson is Catholic?  I didn't either until my husband sent me an article quoting tidbits from the Vatican's newspaper praising the obnoxious drunk and his dysfunctional family, and gladly taking ownership of them as members of the Catholic community  This really irks me.  The Catholic Church does not want successful gays and lesbians, liberal women, or any one else whose mind has evolved out of the stone age.  Yet, they welcome Homer Simpson!  

***

Virginia Thomas, Clarence Thomas's wife, called Anita Hill, and encouraged her to apologize for the sexual misconduct allegations she made nearly twenty years ago against her husband.  Here is a quote of the apparent voice mail message I copied from a CNN article:

"'"Good morning, Anita Hill, it's Ginni Thomas. I just wanted to reach across the airwaves and the years and ask you to consider something. I would love you to consider an apology some time and some full explanation of why you did what you did with my husband. So give it some thought and certainly pray about this and come to understand why you did what you did. OK, have a good day.'"

Anita Hill had the message forwarded to the FBI, and will not be offering any apology.

Though rude, I think it took Ms. Thomas a lot of courage to make that phone call.  Even if she doesn't get the apology, at least she was able to get some of what she wanted to say to Ms. Hill off of her chest after 19 long years.

***

Finally this morning, a story about education.  In the Southwest, high school classes are offered that teach students of all races about the history of the area, including the fact that parts of some states were once owned by Mexico.  Known as raza studies, or race studies, I think these classes are extremely important for instilling a sense of ownership and unity in the biggest immigrant population we currently have in America.  But, as usual, some loons from the far right think telling Mexican Americans that Mexico once owned part of America is dangerous and outrageous!  Right up there with teaching evolution!  Vote these nimrods, and the Tea Party nutcases supporting them, out next week!
___
10/21
Two women were extradited to Chicago after allegedly scamming two other women out of nearly $100,000.  This scam didn't involve the normal mail fraud, or prize money.  Instead, the two defendents convinced their victims that their live savings were cursed, and that only by handing the savings over in cash to be "cleansed," would their families avoid tragedies.  So, of course, the victims went right over to their local banks to withdraw the "cursed" cash.  I'm serious.  You can read the whole story here:  2 accused in cursed money scam extradited to Chicago.

If that isn't screwed up enough for you, try this one on for size:  A cheerleader was removed from her sixth grade squad for refusing to "Shake" her "Booty."  The cheer in question goes like this: "Jump, shake your booty.  Jump Jump Shake your booty."  That's it.  I was never a cheer leader, but my overly-restrictive Catholic grade school allowed this cheer twenty-five years ago!  All of these "outraged" parents need to wake up and realize the girl may not be cut out for cheerleading if she doesn't enjoy shaking her booty in front of crowds.  I never even made it onto my schools squad, but I didn't make a big stink about a cheer that is commonly used for the simple fact that it contains 4 words repeated over and over, and thus young girls can memorize it easily!  (You can watch the video of Faylene, the 11 year old causing all this chaos, here:  Cheerleader, 11, ousted for refusing to 'shake booty')

Finally, according to a 2009 article from the journal Trends in Ecology and Evolution, jellyfish may soon dominate the oceans like they did 500 million years ago.  Jellyfish thrive in warmer water, and are able to eat the leftovers created by pollution.  So, if human habits don't change, we may see more jellyfish polyps than anything else when we go scuba diving!  But, most scientist think this theory is far fetched.  Here are the details:  Jellyfish Swarms:  Menacing or Misunderstood?
___
10/22

I never thought I would have the chance to stare the bigots known as the "Westboro Baptist Church" in the face, and yell what I think of them.  It looks like Monday night I may have that opportunity.  North Central College, my Alma Matter, will be hosting a screening of the controversial film "An Anatomy of Hate," and the group, best known for protesting military funerals, has said that it plans to show up.  A senior at the college is organizing a counter-protest, to show support for gay rights.  I have often written about the hate-mongering the Westboro group represents and expounds.  Now, I may have the opportunity to tell them exactly how I feel, via participation in the counter-protest.  I encourage any of my fellow Napervillians that support gay rights to attend!
North Central students plan counter protest of anti-gay demonstration  (TribLocal, by Mick Swasko, 10/21/2010)

Next up, it sounds like a movie plot, but, according to a new book, it really happened.  During the Clinton administration, one of the codes necessary to mount a nuclear attack went missing for months.  It wasn't discovered because the Clinton aide responsible for following the President while carrying the code hid the fact that it was missing during monthly security checks.  I actually agree with Fran Townsend for once, "'I can't imagine a more serious breach, if something like that were ever to be lost or be compromised.'"
Nuclear launch card was missing 'for months,' new book says  (CNN, Dugald McConnell, 10/21/2010)

Finally, a mysterious donation to at the World Trade Center has people wondering who done it.  Yesterday, during the evening hours of five and seven, an anonymous donor left $10,000 in a box at the site.  Although I admire his or her generosity, I would only question the person's ability to use this donation as a tax write-off, without a receipt.
Unsolved mystery:  Anonymous $10,000 donation at World Trade Center site  (Yahoo News, by Mike Krumboltz, 10/21/2010)
___
10/24

Sorry for missing yesterday.  Today, though, I have two great stories for you.  First, do you ever feel like the world is too dependent on technology?  According to some Amazonian shaman, we have all sacrificed our spiritual roots for the niceties of material culture.  What, you may ask, is the remedy for this disastrous affliction?  Why, consuming a hallucinogenic brew containing DMT called Ayahuasca, of course.   On a serious note, this drink, and other hallucinogens have been tested on and off for years to treat a number of conditions, as well as to ease hospice patients into comfortable deaths.  What I just learned and wish to share with you is the reason scientists conducting these research projects have often sited for discontinuing their work.  According to conspiracy- theorists-turned-fiction-author Graham Hancock, the reason is that up to 80% of study participants report experiencing visits from otherworldly beings.  "'In a number of cases the beings (sometimes construed as 'aliens', sometimes as 'spirits', sometimes as 'angels,' sometimes even as 'elves' or 'fairies') stated they were pleased the volunteers had discovered 'this technology' -- i.e. DMT -- since they would now be able to communicate with them more easily'"  You can read more about this seemingly connected experience of people tripping, as well as other interesting tidbits that will blow your mind here:  "Ayahuasca as a remedy for the wider ills of the West," and here, "Death holds no string: new studies on effects of psychedelics."

On an oddly related (technology dependent), though really unrelated note, I am not alone in my hatred of earbuds.  This awesome article by David Pogue made me realize there is a whole world of new possibilities out there to combat my can't-keep-the-damn-things-in-while-I-exercise syndrome.   I think I will start will a cheap alternative like Sony's MDR J10 earbuds.  They can't be any worse than the ones that come with the IPod!
___
10/27

First up this morning, a story I caught on the news a couple days ago.  Iran has loaded fuel into one of its nuclear power plants.  Sanctions and diplomatic actions have not stopped them from arming these "peaceful" facilities.   This drives me nuts because we have spent the past two decades shimmying around the real problem, and now the real problem is practically capable of blowing us off the map.

On a lighter note, I found a photo slide show on Discovery News about all of the new species discovered in the Amazon from 2001-2009.  The pictures were amazing, and included a snake that grows large enough to feast on jaguars, a spider with shiny blue mandibles, and a bald parrot.  I also learned some interesting facts, like 15% of animal biomass in the Amazon is made up solely of ants.

Finally, a follow-up to a tidbit I shared earlier this week.  The protest at North Central College was one-sided Monday night because Westboro Church failed to show up.  Still, the unity of the over three hundred students who protested against the hate mongering church sent a strong message to the world. 
___
10/27 (afternoon edition)

I found a couple more interesting things to share with you today.  First, I am usually quite skeptical when it comes to ghost hunting shows and stories.  So, as I read the captions on a slide show CNN ireport presented earlier, I didn't expect to see anything that would send chills down my spine.  But I did.  Apparently there is an ancient Philippine legend about a giant harry man who crouches at the tops of trees, smoking tobacco and staring at passers-by.  Ever since I started walking regularly, I have had the odd sensation of being watched, followed by the distinct scent of cigarette smoke on at least four occasions.  So as I read the caption, I can honestly say I was scared blumfless for once.  (Unfortunately, I closed the tab for this slide show and cannot find it after fifteen minutes of fruitless searching.)

Also, if you live anywhere in the Midwest, you have probably been experiencing the same crazy weather I have.  Turns out I am not alone in thinking that yesterdays storm was uniquely like a hurricane in the middle of the heartland.  "Crossing Minnesota late Monday and Tuesday, low atmospheric pressure sank to 955 millibars -- the kind of intensity readings that forecasters are more accustomed to seeing in the eyes of hurricanes.  Meteorologist Larry Cosgrove in Houston said that unofficially 'this disturbance may have sported the lowest barometric pressure in recorded history.'"  (Midwest 'Superstorm' Reveals Bulked up Atmosphere, Discovery News, by John D. Cox, 10/27/2010)
 ___
10/29

Could you imagine being afraid of Micky Mouse?  Apparently, at least a couple studio executives rejected Disney's now famous mouse because they thought women would be afraid of him.  When I first heard this yesterday, I couldn't figure out why they would think this.  But, after a couple hours it came to me:  Back in the 1950's, stereotypes still prevailed, and it was still just the female sex that showed fear around certain animals.  What a different world we thankfully live in today!  I am petrified of "crunchy" bugs, while my husband squeals like a child around spiders. 

Next up:  the possible reversal of an established maxim.  What if we came out of Asia, instead of out of Africa?  "Ancient fossilized teeth of small anthropoid monkeys discovered in Libya suggest our earliest ancestors may have migrated from Asia to Africa," new research shows.  These tiny mammals weighed no more than 1 pound when fully grown, and resembled monkey-marmosets.  You can read all about the new research, that still needs to be peer reviewed, of course, here.
___
10/29  (evening edition)

My husband sent me an interesting article today that discussed recent research discussed in this month's issue of Science magazine.  The research was about how our brains and bodies respond differently to mistakes we make.  "By using a doctored word processor to sneak errors into typed words and surreptitiously fix typists’ real errors, researchers teased apart the various ways people catch their own mistakes."  One of the interesting things they ascertained from this study was that people's next keystroke is delayed after they make a mistake, even if that error does not appear on the screen.  This made sense to me because as an amateur writer,  I have often noticed how my hands seem to be aware of a typo before my brain processes that an error has occurred.  You can read more about this interesting study here.

Next up, I have a comment to make, on a comment I read that I can't get out of my gosh darn head.  (Great rhyme, hey?)  In case you haven't heard, airline security measures are again being enhanced, this time to include random physical pat-downs.  An article I read on CNN this morning had over 130 people "like" a reader's comment that was something like this:

"If given a choice, I would rather fly on a no-security-check "Freedom" airline instead of an insane-security-check "Pat-Down" airline."

At first I was tempted to jump on the bandwagon and click "like" in agreement.  But, once I really thought about it, I realized that the terrorists would pick the "Freedom" option as well.  That is when I got really scared, because security measures could include random strip searches in the future, and I don't know which flight I would choose then.  

Finally, I was looking at this slide show on Discovery News, and became totally infatuated with the caption on the second slide.  I had never thought about the possibility of mummified dogs and monkeys still orbiting the earth.  Curious to learn more, I followed the link to How Stuff Works' article on "Early Animals in Space."  I learned many things on this curious topic, including the fact that fruit flies preceded both canines and chimps on voyages into the unknown.  Also, Albert was the name given to the first monkey sent into space, and every subsequent monkey was named Albert in his honor.  I wonder how many Alberts are still sailing along around the earth now?  That will give me something to think about next time I am admiring the moon!
___
11/1

I heard that Mount Everest has gotten outfitted with the internet.  A Neaplese company set up the towers at a base camp close to the summit, making it possible for climbers to phone home from the top.  If time constraints didn't make it necessary for climbers to descend rather quickly, it would be cool to do a WoW dungeon run from the apex, or shoot some people in Halo.

A little history lesson with modern implications is next up this morning.   For those of you that didn't know (like me until about 10 minutes ago), Japan and Russia have never signed a peace treaty ending World War II.  The reason?  Four tiny, but significant, islands in the Pacific both country claims ownership of.  President Medvedev of Russia's visit to one of them has brought renewed focus to this small chain of disputed land masses.  He claims the visit was to begin ending the suffering of the residents, who have long been neglected by both governments.  But, in my opinion, the wealth of resources in the surrounding area is a much likelier incentive to begin paying attention to them again.  (Russia leader visits disputed isle, Tokyo protests,  Yahoo News, by Jay Alabaster, 11/1/2010)
___
11/2

First up this morning, a story I read in passing that I can't get out of my head.  Apparently, last week there was yet another nuclear weapons "mishap."  A computer glitch took a set of nukes off-line for over 45 minutes.  This has made me ponder the possibility that a similar glitch could have the opposite effect, and launch the missiles, ending the world.  As nuclear weapons continue to become increasing irrelevant to modern warfare, the people and rules guarding the ancient death bringers are bound to become more lax.  This will most likely lead to more mishaps.  Wouldn't it be better to take the nukes off of their launch pads already?

Second up this morning, there is a new, cheaper way to travel the friendly skies - as a stowaway crammed into the landing gear compartment of a plane.  A teenage Russian runaway is just the latest in a growing list of folks using this risky method to garner a free flight.  You can read the tidbit I found this morning here. 

Finally, a comment in relation to the bomb scare that we had this weekend involving shipping companies.  I know this latest effort by terrorists is going to require Washington to respond by writing another law.  It is inevitable.  But, every article I read on the topic clearly states that scanning every package is not only asinine, but, according to a couple stories I found, could literally lead to the financial melt down of the world.  So, this last comment is a plea to our legislature to not overreact by demanding more costly security no one (especially us tax payers) can afford.  Instead, implement smart scanning, so that packages coming from and going to specific places get the attention they need, while allowing shipments of IPods and Jeans from China to still get to the mall on time. 
___
11/3

I only have one for you this morning, but it scores huge on the irony scale.  The Catholic Church has issued a reminder to it's priests and bishops in Mexico in regards to accepting money and donations from drug lords.   A report published in a local newspaper proved that the funds to build a recently constructed chapel had been donated by a famous Zeta drug leader.  Though the parishioners seemed to know who their benefactor was, the priest in charge of the diocese claimed to be clueless.  This whole story made me recall the cathedrals knights of the crusades once built after returning home from slaughtering Jews and Muslims.  Makes me wonder about the wisdom of a doctrine that allows you to wash away sins with an "I'm sorry," and some penance. (Mass held in Mexico chapel built by drug lord,  by Mark Stevenson,  11/2/2010)
___
11/3 (afternoon edition)

I have developed the extremely annoying habit of reading an article, and losing it before I get around to writing about it for this post.  Here is another example of a story I am sharing with a missing source.  I apologize and, will keep my eyes peeled so I can share the link.  I know it is from the National Public Radio website, which I just discovered recently and have absolutely fallen in love with.  This particular tidbit was about a creative artist, of sorts, who has inserted USB portals into walls and curbs throughout New York City.  He hopes that folks will stop by to upload their favorite content.  My fear is that they will share their favorite malware and viruses, but hey, it could work out as planned.  Besides, trying to find the little silver USB nobs in a city as big as New York would be like undertaking a huge, real life hidden puzzle search, which I would truly dig!

I do have the link for this afternoon's second story.  Apparently, the Indian government is taking no chances when it comes to security and safety for President Obama's upcoming visit to Mumbai.  "All coconuts around the city's Gandhi museum have now been cut down, an official told the BBC."  (Taking Out All The Stops To Protect A President, by JJ Sutherland, 11/3/2010)
___
11/4

First up this morning, laundry!  Just like everything else in our lives, washers and dryers are going high-tech.  According to this article from The Wall Street Journal, there is a new washing machine that has a whooping 33 settings available.  Though this seems a bit extreme, I was impressed by the idea of a machine that washes, and drys a small load overnight, so that it is ready to wear when you pull it out in the morning.  I would love a cycle like this to get my favorite work-out clothes ready, and I'm sure every bachelor in America would kill for this next-generation machine as well.  But, at $1,500 a pop, this option is way out of my price range.

On another note, I always thought that it was best to let the leftovers from dinner sit out until they completely cooled, before covering them and putting them in the fridge.  Apparently, this is the exact opposite of what I am suppose to be doing.  According to Harold McGee,  "Harmful microbes can survive cooking and at warm room temperatures can double their numbers several times an hour.  Refrigerate leftovers as soon as the main meal is over, especially any meats, meat or cream sauces and starchy vegetables."
___
11/4 (afternoon edition)

I only have one for you this afternoon.  Annual protests in Iran, to mark the  anniversary of 1979 hostage situation that resulted in the U.S. completely pulling out of the country, were held today in Tehran.  "Outside the former embassy, crowds — including many school children bused to the event — chanted anti-American slogans and taunted effigies of Uncle Sam and President Barack Obama."  Way to indoctrinate those kid into hate-mongering early, Iran!  (Iranian protesters bash US and Britain in rallies, AP, Raphael G. Satte, 11/4/2010)
___
11/5

NASA's EPOXI Deep Impact Spacecraft got within 435 miles of a comet moving 27,000 mph yesterday.  The pictures are amazing!  The CNN article attached to the photos described the comet as "peanut shaped," but it looks more like a bacteria, or fungal spore to me.  What do you think?
___
11/6

A Navy SEAL is accused of smuggling more than 80 weapons from Iraq and Afghanistan back to home soil.  Authorities are outraged that 33 year old Nicholas Bickle somehow managed to get these weapons past security check points, that are admittedly light for special forces personnel.   My thoughts are that these weapons had to be shipped back to the states.  In just two tours to Iraq, it doesn't seem conceivable one soldier, even if he is a SEAL could hide that much contraband from security.  Which leads me to believe he had help.  Whether that help knew what they were doing, or thought that they were just following orders, is the real question.  I believe Mr. Bickle probably convinced underlings to send weapons to addresses where others in the smuggling ring were waiting to receive them.  You can form your own theories after reading the story I found here.
___
11/8

Do you suffer from scrotal hyperthermia?  Chances are, if you are a male who uses a laptop you do.  According to this article from Reuters via MSNBC, there is really no way to avoid it if men put the wireless device directly onto their lap.  To test how hot balls got, and how quick, "The researchers hooked thermometers to the scrotums of 29 young men who were balancing a laptop on their knees."  That sounds . . . unpleasant.  How do I sign my husband up?  J/K honey.  There is something men can change to help alleviate the problem.  "When the men sat with their legs spread wide -- made possible only by placing the computer on a large lap pad -- they could keep their testicles cooler. But it still took less than 30 minutes before they began overheating."  Looks like scrotal hyperthermia in the computer age is inevitable.
___
11/8 (evening edition)
Ancient Monuments Prone to Collapse  (Discovery News, Rossella Lorenzi, 11/8/2010)

Italy is so broke it's archaeological wonders are falling apart.  "Neglet, heavy rain, and a recent roof restoration have caused the collapse of the House of Gladiators on Via dell’Abbondanza, one of Pompeii’s main street."  This was the "third major collapse in a year."  Italy has plans to cut as much as $1.1 billion over the next to years in funding for the arts and culture.  A protest amongst affected institutions is planned for Friday.  But with budgets tighter than ever, I fear there is little the Italian government can due save consider privatizing it's national heritage.
___
11/9

A educational study released from Maryland has shown that atmosphere means more than money when it comes to bridging the achievement gap between impoverished and wealthy children.  "The study released last month, showed that between 2001 and 2007 the kids sharing air with the wealthy cut their achievement gap by almost a third in reading and half in math -- even though the lower income schools had more funding."
Source:  Closing the Achievement Gap in Maryland, by Angela Wu, Newsweek, November 8, 2010)


"The New York Times only scratched the surface in last week's report that Iranian officials have delivered bags of cash worth millions of dollars to President Hamid Karzai's chief of staff, Umar Daudzai. . . Iranians almost routinely give cash to Afghan officials, parliamentarians, politicians, and religious leaders to promote Tehran's agenda."  When an honest politician attempted to return the "gift," he was told to keep it and use it towards his department.
Source:  Sacks of Cash, by Sami Yousafzai and Ron Moreau, Newsweek, November 8, 2010).

I found this bit from Jacob Weisberg's column in Newsweek title "Reagn or Gingrich?" so enlightening that I needed to share it:

"Why does antigovernment ideology work as an electoral strategy but fail as a governing one?  In The New York Review of Books, Michael Tomasky offers a persuasive explanation.  In broad terms, the American public likes Republican themes of liberty and small government better than Democratic themes of compassion and fairness.  But when it comes to the specifics, the situation is reversed.  Democratic programs like Social Security and Medicare retain broad popular support; conservative cuts in programs provoke antagonism.  Thus, conservatives prefer to debate philosophy, while liberals would rather argue about programs.   This conundrum makes it difficult for Democrats to connect their policies to their beliefs.  Conversely, it makes it hard for Republicans to follow through on their ideas."

I have never read an analysis of our 2-party system that hit the nail so hard on the head!  Thanks, Mr. Weisberg and Mr. Tomasky!
___
11/9  (afternoon edition)

Mushroom sex is the newest fetish!  It turns out, black truffles, long thought to reproduce asexually due to their hermaphroditic form, actually make little truffles much like we do.  "It turns out that despite carrying both male and female parts on the same individual fungus organism, they cross their genes with other individuals in the same way we do when we reproduce sexually, a strategy that's called self-sterile, or heterothallic."  This discovery may help scientists finally figure out how to mass-produce the little black delicacies.  I thought about this for a moment, and wonder if truffles would lose some of their luster if they could be purchased as cheaply as chocolate.
Source:  Black Truffles Reproduce Sexually  (Discovery News, by Larry O'Hanlon, 11/9/2010)
___
11/11

Scientists discovered a new species of lizard in just about the most unlikely place imaginable -- on the menu in a food market in Vietnam!  The only-female species reproduces by cloning, and lives in the sandy banks  near the market, where children set up traps to catch them.  They remind me of chameleons, but I don't know if I could get myself to taste one!  Call in Andrew Zimmern, and check out the full story here.

Next, I just want to make a comment about eduction.  I have been reading many articles about how to help our kids compete with the rest of the world.  I think the answer may lie in the question:  competition.  From the day I started kindergarten, I knew that I would someday be competing for scholarships and prestigious college slots, because my dad drove this idea home.  I never really thought about how much my drive to beat the other kids may have resulted in my eventual love for education, and steady stream of A's throughout my academic career.  But, the more I reflect back upon it now, my desire to beat the dreaded masses in acquiring the best scholarships for the best school probably played as much of a role in my getting there as anything else I accomplished along the way.  This makes sense too, given how much competition drives education in Asia countries.  If we could find a way to mimic this feeling of a giant game from day one, I bet more of our children would test higher, and achieve more in school.
___
11/16

Been busy the past few days.  Plus, winter is setting in on the joints, so if my visits to this post are less frequent, that is why.  But I do have a story to discuss this morning!  Sarah Palin's new reality show, Alaska.   After reading the offbeat review I linked from Newsweek, I feel like I am going to barf . . . at her brilliance.  Or, rather Mark Burnett's brilliance.  We all know Sarah is lacking in that department.  I just don't understand how a seemingly decent dude who created a show my husband adores (Survivor) could also be behind this masterfully placed, weekly political ad. . . for the wicked witch from the north!  I guess it just goes to show how blind people are, or corrupted by their religion.  Mark my words. . . if Sarah Palin ever becomes President, I am moving to . . . somewhere!
___
11/17

I don't watch Dancing with the Stars.  I watched a couple episodes back when Apollo Ohno (the speed skater who is drop dead gorgeous) was on it, but never since.  But I just had to see how bad Bristol Palin really was.  I just got done seeing a handful of clips on CNN.  She looks like a lummox.  I don't really know what a lummox is, but I do know it is the word my mom's side of the family uses to describe people who are too big and/or uncoordinated to be doing something.  The term seems made for Bristol while attempting to dance!
___
11/19

Another theory regarding how the stones used to create Stonehenge were transported has been put forth.  Based on findings in Scotland, archaeologist Bruce Bradley from Exeter University thinks the same ball bearing system we see in modern machines may have been used.  "When heavy concrete slabs were placed on a platform above the balls, held in position by more grooved tracks, they could be moved with ease. "  A tv documentary is due to air in Britain, and I will try to catch it to provide further information.  (Stonehenge mystery could rest on ball bearings,  The Independent, 11/18/2010)

Antimatter has been captured!  Using magnetic fields, scientists at the CERN laboratory in Geneva have finally succeeded in trapping the elusive antimatter element antihydrogen.  To catch just 38 atoms for about a tenth of one second, they had to run the experiment 335 times.  But, apparently holding it for less than one second was all they needed to have enough data to analyze.  It should be interesting to see if what they discover confirms our Big Bang theory, or if it will force us to reconsider our long-held beliefs about the beginning of the universe.
___
11/21

I just wasted an hour of my life trying to solve the final "Kryptos" puzzle.  If you don't know what I am talking about, don't worry.  Until I woke up this morning, and clicked this article by John Schwartz, I didn't either.  In a nutshell, there is a piece of art outside of the CIA building that contains 4 phrases.  Three have been deciphered.  The fourth has remained a true brainteaser since the 1990's.  The artist behind this not- particularly-stunning piece of curved metal with letters cut out of it is Jim Sanborn.  Because of the amount of attention the sculpture has gotten since the author of the Da Vinci code included it in the story line, Sanborn, quite frankly, probably wishes he had never created it.   So, in an effort to save his sanity, he has released a clue to help the truly obsessed finally find the answer.  I am not a huge Dan Brown fan, but I do love a good brainteaser.  So, after reading the article, I thought I would take a shot at this cryptogram.  For what it's worth, I think the full words around BERLIN (the clue given for the 64-69th letters) should read "Remember, Lincoln. .. ."
___
11/22

I watched the first half of the Packers-Vikings game yesterday, but failed to notice that Kevin Williams' name was misspelled.  That is just icing on the cake on top of a decisive victory, as far as this Cheeshead is concerned!  Maybe, the person who makes the Viking's jerseys can misspell Favre's name next time.  I think the proper spelling is T-R-A-I-T-O-R.

Might as well stay on topic!  Check out this awesome video of Favre acting like a baby after he threw his 17th interception of the season!   I would imagine serious talk about benching the indecisive old man will consume most of the Minnesota coaching staff's time this week.  I say, ruin his start streak! 
___
11/23

I watched the video attached to this article about horse and bull ranching and riding in the Navajo nation, and couldn't believe how different life is on a reservation.  I had realized that there were "no malls or movie theaters," but the vast starkness pictured reminded me more of my parents photos of Africa, than any place in America I had ever viewed online or visited.  In addition, the poverty level (56% live below the poverty line), and unemployment rate (over 50%) are depressing to consider.  Even those who do find work in the rodeo industry risk more than any American on commission I have ever met.

"The cost to enter can be high, and if you don't win, you have to find a way home, struggle to get back in the circuit in upcoming weeks and somehow find the resources to feed the livestock that await back home."

This story gave be both new respect, and increased sympathy for the Navajo.  Two days before Thanksgiving, it is sad to note that the original inhabitants of this great land are still suffering from the negative repercussions of the forced relocation our government carried out in our name.
___
11/28

Another attempted bombing of American citizens was stopped by law enforcement  officials in Portland this week.  This time, a Somalian born naturalized American was planning to blow up an annual holiday event that involved the lighting of a Christmas tree during a public ceremony attended by many families.  I am getting really sick of people taking advantage of the American way of live (this douche bag had a roof over his head, and was getting a college education. . . good luck finding those two things in Somalia), but then proclaiming to hate it enough to murder.  At least this time, it was the excellent work of our undercover investigators, and not the would-be-terrorist's own crappy handiwork, that stopped disaster.   (Teen suspected of trying to set off bomb at Oregon tree-lighting event, CNN, 11/27/2010)
___
11/28

When I first read the headline, "Adult Picky Eaters Now Recognized as Having a Disorder," I thought it was a joke.  But, as I read the story, I realized how serious not liking normal, adult foods could be.  The man described as having gone through two divorces because of his eating habits was shocking to me.  But I can understand how only wanting grilled cheese and french fries could cause problems in social situations.  It is interesting that the folks who suffer with this disorder are appalled by the sight and smell of foods, not the taste.  Though unique, I find this disorder more believable than sexual addiction!  Read the article, and see what you think.
___
12/1

Soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan have received a new weapon that seems pulled right from famous video game titles like Halo.  This new type of grenade launcher, called the "XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System" is able to eliminate virtually any defenses an enemy attempts to use for protection.  "Previous grenade launchers needed to arc their shells over cover and land near the target to be effective."  Using new smart technology, the XM25 is able to target enemies through walls, in bunkers, even inside of mountains.  The implications for the future of warfare, given this strikingly precise new technology, are immense.  Though I do hope this new grenade launcher helps our troops win against Islamic extremists on the ground in Afghanistan, I know from history that someday this same weapon will be in the hands of our enemies.  ('Game-Changer' Weapon Deployed to Afghanistan: Big Pic, Discovery News, from AFP, 12/1/2010)
___
12/7

I just read an article about the military's skyrocketing health care costs.  In 2010, the DoD will have forked out $49 billion to insure and care for its active, and retired service members.  This is up from $19 billion in 2001.  With annual increases projected to be between 5-7%, health care costs, "will account for 10% of the Pentagon budget by 2015."  (CNN)  But, trying to raise the out-of-pocket costs to beneficiearis during war time is taboo.  And I personally don't think it's as necessary as internal reforms to the Tricare system, including modernization, and streamlining of processes.  This topic is sure to be one of many facing economists in the DoD as next year approaches, and on the minds of our congressional representatives, as they attempt to legislate with our growing deficit in mind.
___
12/8

I loved Kathy Griffin even before I read how hard she bashed Bristol Palin at some VH-1 award gig.  Here's the run down:  "While hosting the December 3 VH1 'Divas Salute the Troops' concert, the 50-year-old comedian took a jab at Palin, saying that the former 'Dancing With the Stars' competitor 'is the only contestant in the history of the show to actually gain weight ... She gained, like, 30 pounds a week. I swear to God, it was fantastic. She's like the white Precious.'" (Source:  Kathy Griffin booed for Bristol Palin joke)  Kathy is great because she says what most rational people are thinking, but can't voice or risk being politically, and socially, incorrect.  I hope she keeps up the great work, and my husband and I both can't wait until next season of D-List.

In a separate article on CNN, I read about how Nigeria has filed charges against Dick Cheney ans some other of his former Halliburton cohorts for bribery.  The charges include, "'conspiracy and distribution of gratification to public officials,' Femi Babafemi, a spokesman for the country's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, said Wednesday."  (Source:  Dick Cheney and others face charges in Nigeria)  The bribes were paid in an attempt to win $6 billion in new energy contracts, and allegedly totaled $180 million.  A majority of Nigerians apparently view this move as a publicity stunt to garner favor for the ruling party in upcoming elections.  As much as I detest Mr. Cheney, I somewhat agree with his lawyer.  First, prosecute the company.  Then punish those accountable in the organization.  We shall see, but I fear not much will come of these charges.
___
12/10

Today in Norway, an empty chair will sit beside the presiding president of the Nobel committee, for the first time since Hitler prevented a previous honoree from attending.  This time, it the Chinese government that is keeping a winner from receiving his prize.  China is acting so belligerently that its leaders even demanded other countries not attend the ceremony today, or risk showing disrespect.  Their censors have made sure that any news organization that may cover the event online is blocked.  A second "Chinese" peace prize was even created to rival the Nobel.  The winner of this "Confucius Peace Prize" didn't attend his ceremony, either.  In fact, he has requested to be dissociated from the event, and award.  All of this makes me wonder how China expects to progress any further towards being taken seriously as an emerging world power.  It blows my mind that the Chinese government would spend billions putting on the 2008 Olympics to portray one image, yet be so backwards as to jail a man just for writing about his views on the government.  The countries censorship, and lack of freedoms, will be it's downfall.  (Source:  Chair left empty for jailed Chinese Nobel winner)
___
12/12

A dimetrodon fossil, almost completely intact, has been discovered on a ranch in Texas.  This creature looks like a dinosaur or reptile, but is really one of our own distant cousins.  "It was a synapsid, a category that includes modern mammals. Think of dimetrodon as a very distant, very toothy cousin."  The new fossil has been nicknamed "Wet Willi," and will go on display at the Houston Museum of Natural Science in 2012.  Its torso alone weighs 400 pounds, and is considered beautiful by all who gaze upon it.  (Source:  Ancient Tiger-Sized Predater Unearthed in Texas)
___
12/14

I just read an article describing the overall situation in Afghanistan from MSNBC.  It described what I view as a never-ending game of increasingly harder whack-a-mole.  NATO forces gain ground in one region, only to have thousands more spring up in another.  Unless we can provide the forces to keep every corrupt province in toe, (which we can't) then what the heck is the point?  Hopefully, all of the recent reports, and academic appeals to Obama will not fall on deaf ears.  I'm 100% for the "get out now" strategy.  Let the fanatical terrorist groups blow each other up for control of the desert wasteland that is Afghanistan.    (Source:  No clear winner 1 year into Afghanistan surge)
___
12/20

Sorry for the break in the action.  I was without internet for a couple days.  But I am back up and running now!  And this mornings sound off is awesome!  Forensic studies are currently being conducted to determine if Amelia Earhart's final resting place has finally been found.  If the tests come back positive, they will prove that Earhart and her co-pilot Fred Noonan died as castaways on a South Pacific island.  But, the bone fragments could also just be those of a turtle.  Other pieces of evidence point to human habitation on the island, including a piece of aluminum that may have originated from her plane.  You can read all about the latest theory, and evidence supporting it here. 
___
12/21

In a scene straight out of Old Testament Israel, northern Australia is facing a plague of locusts.  Apparently, the gross, crunchy insects are attracted to anything green.  So, in an attempt to save their precious crops, some Victorian farmers have resorted to spraying their tomato plants with sunscreen to make them appear white.  You can see the video I watched to learn about this strange, but brilliant tactic here.
___
12/24

Sorry for the couple days off this month.  Things have been hectic with the holidays, and my health is always worse during the cold months.  But today, I do have an interesting article to share with you:  The hidden history of China in photos.  The article itself describes how photography was introduced to China around 1840, but really took off in urban areas around the turn of the century.  I found it most curious how rural Chinese farmers feared the camera would suck out their soul.  "Extracts from 19th-century British traveler and photographer John Thomson's diary. . . record children and peasants trying to grab his camera, so afraid were they of his strange machine."  The pictures themselves are also worth viewing.  Notice how none of the people in the portraits are smiling.  Also, the text was added after the fact, as advertising for the photographer.  This seems like a very modern marketing trick to me.  I hope you enjoy the link as much as I did, and have a safe and happy holiday.
___
12/27

I was reading an article on CNN this morning that traces the history of several games.  When I came to the game called "Diplomacy," I was surprised because I had never heard of it.  Apparently, it is like Risk, minus the dice.  The entire game is based on seven people negotiating and trading, allying and backstabbing, to obtain the most spaces on the board of 34.  "The game relies entirely on negotiations and player strategy, with numerous strategy guides abounding online, including an entire Wikipedia article on a popular opening sequence for Italy called the Lepanto opening."  I don't know why I found this so intriguing, but I did, so hopefully you do to!  (Source:  Origins of 8 classic board games)
___
12/28

My parents are retired jet setters.  They recently returned from a trip to India, and will be traveling to Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, and China in 2011.  So when I saw the article titled "Road rage in India growing along with economy," I was immediately intrigued.  The opening story was horrifying, but I read on anyway.  As I contemplated the congested mess that my parents had described, coupled with the fender benders in the article, I couldn't help but wonder whether car insurance exists in India.  If not, it may be a lucrative business idea.  This line from the story in particular caught my attention :  "Small cars ignore lane lines and wedge themselves into any free space."  It reminded me of a story my dad related about their trip.  He told me that new drivers in India are tested for less than one minute, and asked to drive along a straight yellow line.  Therefore, many drivers continue to use lane markers as their guides on roads, and thus may appear to be "ignoring lane lines" to more experienced drivers. 
___
12/31

I have been reading and hearing a lot about needed cuts to Medicare and Social Security.  I agree, drastic action needs to be taken to ensure the future solvency of these programs.  However, I think that discussing either of them alone, without seriously overhauling the entire flawed health care system in America, is futile.  President Obama set out to make the necessary changes, but in the end, sold his soul to the same pharmaceutical and insurance companies that are a major part of the problem.  I don't have a solution, but I get frustrated reading how Congress needs to make major cuts to social programs, when they failed to pass legislation that would have helped make said cuts less necessary.
___
1/2

To usher in the new year, Italy has a new law banning shopkeepers from using plastic bags.  The amount of litter on the streets, and waste in landfills, from these flimsy containers is the primary reason given for the environmentally friendly law.  I was shocked by these stats:  "The environmental group Legambiente estimates each Italian consumes about 300 plastic bags a year, and that 180,000 tons of gasoline would be saved if everyone used just 10 bio-degradable bags a year for their shopping."  I use left-over plastic bags to scoop out my cats two litter boxes everyday, and consider this a sensible re-use of a nasty product.  I wonder what I would do without my seemingly never ending stash?  Use brown lunch bags I guess. . .  (Source:  Italy to ban plastic bags in New Year)

____
1/3

What could make 5,000 birds simply fall from the sky?  My first guess was a UFO.  According to an ornithologist involved in the mystery free-fall of thousands of birds in Arkansas New Year's Ever, hail or lightening were the more likely culprits.  Although, stress trauma from New Year's firework displays hasn't been ruled out either.  You can read about the strange, and sad, falling bird mystery here.

So, after reading the above linked story, you can imagine my surprise when I clicked on this story about 100,000 dead fish turning up in Northwest Arkansas!   Only one species of fish was involved, so authorities have ruled out pollutants in favor of disease as the probably cause.  I am sticking with my original guess: aliens.
___
1/7

I hate baseball.  I can't believe it is considered a sport, let alone America's past-time.  If I were commissioner of the baseball league (does that exist?) I would implement several new rules in an attempt to alleviate the boredom that sets in by the end of the first inning.  The first, and most important rule, however would deal with personal conduct.  Absolutely no butt scratching, ball re-adjusting, or spitting would be allowed.  In an average game, these three vulgar acts far outnumber any hits and catches.  So forcing this change upon the players would necessitate drastic punishments, such as this:   If a player is caught scratching his butt, moving his balls, or spitting, members of the opposing team get to punch him in the face.  That would clean up that nasty field a bit!  Stay tuned for future installments of ways I would change baseball to make it an acceptable, and exciting sport!
___
1/8

The north pole is moving.  Really.  According to this article from a blog called "The Lookout," the magnetic north pole is shifting towards Russia at a rate of 40 miles per year.  Pilots use this location to navigate, especially when it comes time to landing.  That is why one runway at an international airport in Tampa, Florida, will be closed for the next several weeks.  The shifting of the North Pole has actually caused the bearings on the runway to no longer match the bearings on pilot's 3D maps.  What is causing this shift?  Scientists don't know for sure, but I would predict that climate change may be speeding the process.
____
1/10

I was appalled to learn about the shooting in Arizona that took the life of a judge, and seriously wounded a congresswoman.  But what really gets me about this incident is the death of an innocent nine year old little girl.  What possible threat, politically or physically, did she pose?  Why would the gunman let bullets fly towards her?  As I lay in bed last night, my heart longed to comfort her parents and family.
Amidst all the news clips about the famous victims, I fear this precious child will be forgotten by most; but not by me.
___
1/11

I was wrong.  I thought the politicians would be getting all of the press after the shooting, but I have heard many stories focused on the life of little Christina Greene, the 9 year old murdered in Tucson.  I have learned that she was proud of her ominous birthday, 9-11-2001, and used the tragedy surrounding her birth to fuel her love for politics.  She was a ballerina, a baseball player, but most of all, a daughter.  I cried with her dad as I watched him recount her life one CNN last night.   The tragedies that marked her birth and death were just the bookends, he said.  It was all the joy and greatness in the middle that should be remembered.
___
1/14

I am getting really sick of natural disasters such as mud slides being blamed for deaths, when clearly human stupidity is to blame.  I truly feel for the families and friends of the deceased in Brazil, but take a look at the pictures (especially number 3 in the photo journal at the bottom).  Who, in their right mind, would build a house on the bottom of a muddy mountain slope?  I feel the same way about houses that fall into the ocean or lakes, or businesses that flood because they are built too close to rivers.  There are some weather-related natural disasters that are truly unavoidable.  But an equal number, I believe, are simply a result of illogical human construction practices, followed by stubbornness about re-locating.

On another note, if New York puts a 93 year old in jail for 12 years, they are practicing bad economics.  I have a 93 year-old grandmother.  Caring for her is my mother's newest full-time job.  The cost incurred by the state to house convicted mob boss John "Sonny" Franzese would be astronomical.   House arrest would make more sense..."or nursing home arrest."  (Source:  Decrepit don, 93, faces 12 years in prison)
___
1/19

I found the craziest video this morning on CNN's website.  It features a freelance author who found a forgotten movie clip of a 1950's housewife enjoying a LSD trip.  If you want to see "Mrs. Cleaver" tripping, check out this clip!  In my opinion, it proves that psychedelics in controlled environments are not only safe, but possibly beneficial to mental health as well.
___
1/24

When I was a child, my health issues often kept me home from school.  I was one of those kids who was, "too smart for her own britches," as my mom used to put it, and realized that if I did all of the homework the teachers sent home for the week in one horrible but bearable burst of brain training, I would have the remainder of my time to do as I pleased.  School work completed,  I spent way too many hours as a child watching talk shows.  One of my favorites was Montel Williams.  Years later when he was diagnosed with MS, I remember feeling that special bond sick folks form with each other without even meeting.  Today, his MS is like my autoimmune disease; constant and worsening.   I am proud of Montel Williams for using his fame to promote something as controversial as legalized medical marijuana.  As a fellow sufferer and occasional partaker, who is otherwise a perfectly loyal and legal American citizen, I would love nothing more than the bill he is sponsoring to pass.  Hopefully, one state at a time, we can convince our federal government that a plant, unaltered with chemicals, should not be illegal.
___
1/29

It shouldn't surprise me, but it did.  When I was reading about Egypt's internet shutdown this morning, this line  popped out at me: "[T]he idea of a single 'kill switch' to turn the Internet on and off has seduced some American lawmakers, who have pushed for the power to shutter the Internet in a national emergency."  I am sure these lawmakers are Republican wackos who loved George Bush Jr.  But knowing the proposers are crazy doesn't make me feel any better about the fact that some of our congress people have become so far separated from the principles this country was founded upon.  (Source:  The day part of the Internet died:  Egypt goes dark)
___
1/31

Make sure you take the time to view the photo journals showing the revolution in Egypt.  The perspective they offer is sometimes far different from the repetitive video cycles shown on the major networks. The pictures shown at the bottom of this NYT story are beyond description.  As I viewed them, I experienced emotions on both extremes of the spectrum.
___
2/1

A news study out of Brigham Young University has found a positive boost in relationship quality between fathers and daughters who play age-appropriate video games together.*  I believe this study is accurate.  As a child, I jealously watched my cousin Claire play the original Nintendo and Super Nintendo with her parents.  As she matured, she had a much better relationship with her parents then my sister and I did with ours, who did not game with us.  However, she is now near thirty and still living in their basement, so long term effects of this "friendlier" relationship with parents may need to be studied. 

*Gaming with your daughter is good for her
___
2/5

In the midst of the Egyptian revolution, it has often been said by political pundits that America should be careful how much we push for true democracy in Arab nations.  This belief is fueled by the prevalence of Islamic political parties, like the Muslim Brotherhood, in Egypt and elsewhere in the Mideast.  I find it ironic that the people making these statements are often members of America's own religious-political wackos, Religious Right.  Instead of worrying about how Islamic values may infiltrate Arab governments (as if they haven't already), I think it is high-time we start examining how deep we have let Christian sentiments leak into our own laws, and what freedoms have been compromised as a result.
___
2/9

Every once in a while, I come across a story I wish I would have encountered when I was still a child.  The tale about the computing 'Rosies' of World War II fits that description perfectly.  I never knew that women were behind the precise calculations used to launch bombs at enemy targets from Allied fighter planes.  Had I learned about their amazing number crunching abilities as a young female, perhaps I would not have found math such an intimidating subject.  The creator of a documentary about these women is sharing their tale across the country, and developing material for teachers to use when discussing the subject.  I hope that the story of the computing 'Rosies' becomes a staple in history text books nationwide.
___
2/12

My sincerest congratulations go out to the people of Egypt.  Even if the result of their freedom is a less congenial relationship between the US and Egyptian government, I am thrilled.  It is about time the rest of the world experienced the liberties we enjoy (often times blindly) in America.   I believe that much of the hatred Mid-easterners feel for Westerners is based in jealousy.   Given access to the same ideals, we will likely be quite surprised by the way Muslims choose to express themselves.  Just like in America, the wackos make up a small, but vocal, minority.  In reality, the moderate masses will rise to claim the prize of determining the direction of the country.
___
2/14

As I read about the Obama administration's proposed budget, one particular feature caught my attention.  Instead of deferring the interest of government-backed college loans until graduation, the new budget would allow interest to accrue while students are still in school.  As someone who finally paid off her college loans ten years after graduation, I think this idea is not fair.  It is hard enough to finance college without adding the stress of knowing each semester is costing not only the tuition, but also interest.  I understand the concept of credit, and also the need to become fiscally responsible as a nation.  But the way to do this is not by stifling education.  So many discoveries on the cutting edge of technology are coming from students and their mentors at our universities.  If we allow interest to accrue on loans, these innovators will feel the need to rush through their courses, instead of letting the creative juices flow for the future benefit of us all.   Its hard enough to get through college, and then make enough to pay back the loans in this economy.  Don't make it harder!
___
2/15
Games were big 4,000 years ago  (MSNBC, by John Roach)

I love games.  To think that dice and board games have been played for more than 4,000 years makes me feel a bond with the past little else in our technologically cramped modern lives can.
___
2/16

In Time Magazine's "Briefing" section, I read the following excerpt:  "Hundreds of Muslims in central Java set fire to two churches and attacked a court, claiming that a five year prison sentence given to a Christian who had allegedly blasphemed Islam was too lenient."  Ok, so let me get this straight....it is a worse crime to badmouth Islam, than to purposely burn down two churches, and attack a public building?  The briefing goes on to read:  "The attacks followed an incident in which a mob assaulted members of a minority Islamic sect deemed heretical by more orthodox Muslims."  What a great way to make people believe more like you do...beat them!  The article concludes with the following:  "Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim country, often promotes its pluralism and diversity as an example for the Islamic world."  Great example, Indonesians!  (Sorry I was so satirical, but this is a prime example of why I am a staunch atheist.)
___
2/19
Wis. rallies renew history of political activism  (Yahoo News, by Dinesh Ramde, 2/19/2011)

I can't believe I'm writing this.  I actually agree with a Sarah Palin on something.  In regards to the protests occurring in Madison because of planned changes to teacher union power, she urged union members to be realistic about budget necessities.  "'Real solidarity means everyone being willing to sacrifice and carry our share of the burden,' Palin said in her [Facebook] post..."  I couldn't agree more.
___
2/21
Protesters rally against government in Djibouti (CNN, 2/18/2011)

With protests and political instability spreading throughout the world, it is going to be intriguing to see how the United States reacts.  For example, the small African nation of Djibouti is both unknown, and unpronounceable, by a majority of Americans.  But it is of immense strategic importance to our military.  "It's home to Camp Lemonnier, the only U.S. military base on the continent. The 88-acre former French military barracks is used as a staging ground for U.S. counterterrorism efforts including, reportedly, CIA drone attacks on al Qaeda terrorists."  While our eyes are focused on northern Africa and the Middle East, I find it interesting that it is really a tiny nation in the south that will determine our strategic future.
___
2/22

I wish my husband could just not show up to work, hide out across state lines, still get paid, and not face immediate termination whenever there was a particularly tough decision to be made.  I just hope Wisconsin and Indiana residents remember the inferior work ethic displayed by their Democratic state representatives this week come voting time 21 months from now.
___
2/23

Mother Jones Magazine has compiled some amazing charts that demonstrate just how astronomically huge the income gap has become in America.  What none of the analysis I have read so far has stated is what appears obvious to me:  you need money to make money.  That is the fundamental flaw with capitalism.
___
2/25

At first I laughed when I read how a Naperville man lost $200,000 to a fake girlfriend he had met online and who was supposedly kidnapped.  But then I thought about it for a second and realized how lonely and naive the poor guy must be to believe something so obviously contrived.

And, in other local news, a wacko psychiatrist is described as though he is a movie character drawn up by the likes of Quentin Tarantino in this clip from the Chicago Tribune.  Here are a couple excerpts:

  • "One night a Crestwood police sergeant doing a routine building check noticed an open door to the office of psychiatrist Joel Carroll. Stepping inside the cluttered office, he discovered roaming cats, a Colt AR-15 assault rifle and other guns, ammunition, military-grade smoke grenades, sex toys, and pornography."
  • "The former secretary, who first had been a patient of Carroll's, said she was surprised when he visited her behind bars and then offered her a job immediately after she finished serving time for a drug conviction.  Carroll gave her presigned prescriptions to use when he was out of the office, she said. The woman, a recovering drug addict who had no medical training and suffered from bipolar disease   would pen prescriptions for patients — a violation of drug laws, a Drug Enforcement Administration official testified...When the secretary quit after the state launched its investigation, Carroll showed up at her home more than once, prompting her to call Chicago Ridge police, records show."
  • "Another former patient who had turned to Carroll for treatment of severe anxiety said she was confused when he showed up unannounced at her family's Crestwood home. He allegedly tried to kiss her as he was leaving, which prompted her to cry to her mother....The psychiatrist allegedly returned to the house more than 20 times, records show. The woman and her mother testified he would lay his body against the doorbell and throw rocks at her window...Carroll said he only threw rocks at the woman's window once. He denied he tried to kiss her."
___
3/3
The Armory Show  (NYT)

I like art.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that I love art.  But I truly question the direction it is going.  Of the 9 photos shown in the slideshow linked above from the Armory Show, I personally don't think many qualify.  A neon picket fence around an open area, some potted plants, A piece of bent steel twisted like a broken paperclip, and a bike loaded with junk just don't cut it for me.  Maybe I don't get it, but these exhibits qualify as crafts at best, as far as I am concerned.
___
3/4

I have been reading about the sky-rocketing costs of health insurance all morning.  Everyone points their finger at one culprit or another when trying to defining why double-digit increases in premiums have become the norm over the past decade.  Therein lies the problem, I believe.  The "culprit" is the system as a whole, not a single aspect of it.  From the price of liability insurance, to the ridiculous and antiquated coding system, the entire realm of providing care to the sick would need to be overhauled to see any significant changes in costs.   But, seeing how political brawls break out over even the slightest proposed alterations, it would take a miracle for the kind of change needed to happen.  I predict a future where health care is like other commodities in America, like blue jeans.   I can afford $60 Gap Jeans.  Those less fortunate buy knock-offs at Marshall's for $20.  The wealthy shop at stores whose names I can't even pronounce, and spend hundreds.    Health care in America will increasingly come to resemble this you-can-only-get-what-you-pay-for model, I believe.
___
3/5

In this article from Time.com, I just read that one of my favorite performers ever is distancing himself from music.  Phil Collins is seeking a peaceful, media-free retirement in Switzerland.  I didn't realize how much resentment he is harboring both for his career's success, and the music industry.  I do understand the toll drumming can take on your body, but I don't comprehend why he is letting the opinions of a select few diminish what he contributed to music.  One of my favorite songs of all time is "Rain Down," and no one else could ever belt it out like Phil.  I saw Genesis perform at Summerfest in my youth, and can still recall the goosebumps he gave me.  I think it is sad that someone with as much success as Mr. Collins would choose to listen to the voice of his few detractors.  I guess being a celebrity can sometimes beat that much out of you...
___
3/8

I found yet another reason to hate Walmart.  This story, about four security guards who unarmed a thief to defend themselves, only to be fired by the company, is yet another example of the mega-stores strict adherence to policies gone wrong.  Regardless of the legal culpability involved, I wonder how Walmart can get people to take on the role of protecting the store, without having the right to protect themselves?  As the old adage goes, rules are meant to be broken sometimes, and I can't think of a better instance than when lives are involved.
___
3/11

For once I am at a loss for words.  The pictures coming out of Japan right now following the massive offshore earthquake are beyond devastating.  My heart goes out to the families struggling to hear about loved ones.
___
3/11  (afternoon edition)

I was just reading an evaluation of the Citizens United ruling a year after it went into effect in The Nation.  One thing that supporters of the measure pointed out that I had never realized is that it is Congress, and not the Supreme Court, who is responsible for corporations not having to disclose their donations.  The high court simply allowed for the donations.  A Republican filibuster in the Senate blocked the bill meant to force full disclosure of financial contributions by companies to non-profits.  However, I still feel that human beings mortality, limited means, and moral compass make them different from corporations when it comes to political donations.  I hate hearing nonstop political trash talking on tv before an election, and for that reason alone think the decision was wrong.
___
3/15

I usually don't visit Fox News, but I'm glad I did this morning because this story really got me thinking:  "Iran is Recruiting Hacker Warriors for its Cyber Army to Attack 'Enemies.'"   I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Iran is recruiting an army of hackers.  After it's nuclear program was attacked by computer-savy code writers last year, the rogue nation has decided to put ads out seeking top techies.  Working for the regime can pay big bucks, apparently as much as $10,000 each month.  And, because the size of the code required to hack into a country's top computers is so humongous, Iran can even hire people who will not be aware of the end results of their tiny contributions.  Even scarier to consider is what happens when they start recruiting top talent from North Korea, a country known for its technological know-how.
___
3/16

I have decided that I am a basketball fan, after all.  I don't like any team above all others, but I have jumped on the Heat-hating bandwagon.  I love seeing their cocky-asses lose.  When they lost to the Bulls a week ago, and were crying in the locker room, I was laughing my butt off!  And, the first thing I said to my husband this morning after "good morning," was "did they lose?"  I never thought it would take hating a team to turn m into a NBA lover!
___
3/21
I woke up in a philosophical mood this morning, so bear with me:
The world is very chaotic right now.  Between radiation risks from the Japanese tragedy, to the violent unrest in Yemen, Bahrain, and Libya, it seems like the news is full of information about a rapidly changing world.  Which made me wonder, does it just seem like more is happening now that affects us all, because we actually have the technology to know about it?  Or do certain situations really have as many global implications as it seems?  Radiation in the food supply seems serious, as does the changes taking place in the Middle East.  Add in the dire situation of rapidly rising fuel prices, climate change, and economic uncertainty, and it begins to feel like we are living during a critical tipping point.  Does every generation feel like this?  I remember my grandfather griping about similar challenges with different names growing up thirty years ago.  But the world survived.  Is it therefore unwise to just assume we will find a way as a species to get through these new obstacles?  So many questions and no answers. . .
___
3/24

I am very upset about the news that clashes amongst protesters and government guards have led to deaths in Syria.  It has long been my dream to visit one of the cradles of early civilization to visit their archaeological ruins.  For a long time in my youth, Iraq was on my list.  I scratched that off in 2003.  Egypt has similarly been put on indefinite hold.  So I have been reading up on Syria, and found it to be an intriguing country, open to Western visitors.  But, after reading headlines about numerous deaths and continued clashes, I guess I will have to bump Syria down on my list as well.
___
3/26

Next time I am playing scrabble, and am stuck with wassup on my tile-holder, I can actually play it without qualms.  That is because it is one of many new additions to the Oxford English Dictionary.  Other interesting entries include muffin top, couch surfing (which, ironically often creates a muffin top), and la-la land.  The dictionary is apparently getting into trendy acronym tracking as well.  OMG and LOL are also being inducted as legitimate.  Which makes me wonder, how soon will WTF and IMHO be considered kosher.
___
3/27

If you want a free gun, head to Montana and buy a satellite dish.  I'm not kidding.   "The Ravalli Republic reports customers who sign up for some Dish Network packages at Radio Shack in Hamilton will be rewarded with a pistol or shotgun."  If your not interested in the gun, you can opt for a pizza hut gift card.  Unbelievable!  (Only in Montana? Buy a dish, get a free gun, MSNBC, 3/25/2011)
___
4/9

Thanks, Congress.  Thanks for nothing.  I wish my husband could get away with the same misbehavior and lack of performance at work as our Senators and Representatives.  Yes, they narrowly avoided a government shutdown.  But not without sending waves of panic throughout the country.  And only by enacting another band-aid bill, so that we all can go through this same stress a couple months from now.  Shame on you!  When the revolution finally comes, and the people of America demand change, I will look back on this day as a primary example of why.

The constitution is like a crossword puzzle that started out solid, but is now an unworkable mess.  Our forefathers would spew if they witnessed the mockery of law making that we deem legislating.  I have long said that we need to start from scratch, by identifying the principles we really stand for, and then building a government to stand behind them.  Instead, we live in a land of ruses, where we say we cherish certain fundamental ideals, yet act against them every day.
___
5/24

Did you know that the Community Chest cards from the Monopoly board game got their name from charitable events held about a century ago "to raise money from local businesses and individuals and redistribute it to various worthy causes?"*    This model took off, and still exists today as the United Way.  I had no idea that the nostalgic yellow cards had such a worthy namesake!

*Trivial pursuit:  Five board game facts 
___
5/29

Germany is putting its foot down when it comes to nuclear power.  By 2021, just 10 years from now, all of its reactors will be shut down.  Currently, nuclear power accounts for about a quarter of the country's energy.  Economists worry about the huge cost of converting to clean energy so quickly.  But some Germans remember the aftermath of Chernobyl, and the disaster in Japan was a reminder to everyone about the inherent danger of using nuclear energy to power our world.  I applaud Germany, and especially Chancellor Angela Merkel's willingness to reconsider her prior position on the matter.  As a citizen who lives way too close to a reactor now, I hope our government decides to follow the Germans example.
___
6/13

Can you say STUPID?  A woman in Philadelphia offered to pay someone a grand to kill her baby's father via a status update on Facebook.  Even more bizarre?  An eighteen year old punk accepted the deal, as long as he would be paid up-front.  Both have been arrested.  Here is a link to the story.
__
Instant Karma: Man dies while raping elderly Texas woman

___
6/17

A CNN story I just watched described a radical protest occurring in Saudi Arabia today.   Women throughout the conservative country are not allowed to drive.   Sick and tired of being second class citizens, women are getting behind the wheel of whatever vehicle they can get their hands on today, and posting videos to You-Tube.   I hope their efforts pay off, and one of the results of the "Arab Spring" will be greater freedoms for all oppressed Muslims.  
___
6/21
NYT via MSNBC:  Few Taliban leaders agree to switch sides  (by Alissa J. Rubin, 6/21/2011)

Is it wise to pay the Taliban to switch sides?  Is it smart to promise jobs in a country were there are none to be had?  What will happen a decade from now?  Will a permanent Western presence be required to maintain this purchased peace? 

These are the questions that raced through my mind as I read about our latest strategy in Afghanistan.    So far, just 1,700 Taliban fighters have taken advantage of the program.  Most of these are low level fighters, who identity's can not always be confirmed.  With as many as 40,000 Taliban members living in Afghanistan, that number seems like a pittance.  

The incentives for switching are predictable:  money, safety, and jobs.  Though special bank accounts have been established to pay the men who switch sides, many claim they are not receiving the money.   And there are simply no jobs.  One mid level man is living in a run down Russian military base, waiting for the West to pay up.  

All of these facts make me question our tactics.  I want our military members to come home, and I fear the promises we are making will require long term investments of both time and money.   

No comments:

Post a Comment