http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/08/09/girls.starting.puberty.early/index.html?hpt=T2
After reading the above linked article regarding why scientists believe girls are entering puberty younger, I would like to offer my own theory. I am stating plainly now that I have no training in any field related to child development.
That said, I do have years of experience around children. As the oldest of three siblings, I watched my brother and sister grow up. In addition, my mother babysat for lots of children when I was young. Currently, I babysit once or twice a week for my young cousins, including one 5 year old girl named Carly.
The article offered several good theories about why girls may be maturing at younger ages. Both obesity and environmental stimuli seem like plausible explanations. But I think scientists are missing one big piece of the puzzle: mental stimuli.
Any adult who has actually sat down to watch shows like ICarly and Big Time Rush on Nickelodeon, the kids channel, can tell you that flirting and sexual innuendos are common. Although these shows air their new episodes during prime time hours, when younger children should be in bed, the reruns are playing all day long. Carly, my little cousin who is only 5, no longer wants to watch Dora or Go, Diego, Go on Nick Junior. She wants to do her hair and make-up like Miranda Cosgrove, the star of ICarly.
No, no no, I'm not about to start bashing Nickelodeon. I just think my cousin Carly's experience is probably similar to other girls her age. They may be lured to the big kids channel by characters like Sponge Bob, but they stick around for the shows that make them feel older, like ICarly. And when i say stick around, I mean like super glue. If I even talk during certain moments of episodes she has seen fifty times already, I get the "shush" finger.
Now, some may say "She's five, she doesn't understand what 'make-out' means." Believe me, she does. And her friends do, too. She still thinks it is "icky" and boys are "gross," but the body image conversations and overall tone of the show remains with her long after the tv has been turned off.
Which leads me to my theory: When a girl truly longs to be older, I think that her brain releases chemicals that may make her actually BE older. These chemicals are being released because young girls, especially white girls, are watching Hannah Montana and ICarly and longing to be like them. I think this desire to be older may actually be leading their body to release the hormones that start puberty sooner than in past generations.
No comments:
Post a Comment