Me

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Not Your Typical Mountain Climbers

3 wars vets, 1 good leg: Amputees climb Kilimanjaro

"Despite having only one good leg among them, three veterans took on Africa's highest mountain."

When I first saw the miniaturized picture of 3 men mountain climbing on my yahoo slide reel, my interest level was at about 2 out of 10.  Then I read the headline, and it went up to 5 out of 10.  Then I read the headline AGAIN, and actually comprehended what it was saying and couldn't resist clicking.

The story is not your typical summit success story.  The veterans had to plan a longer course to compensate for their disabilities, and suffered countless skids and falls. But, they proved that anyone, even 3 disabled veterans with only one real leg amongst them, can accomplish anything.

I couldn't help but feel a personal tie to these men as i read.  Even though I didn't climb Mount Kilimanjaro, I have had my own successes at overcoming disabilities.  Sometimes those of us that god didn't make perfect need to forge our own paths, but we can always still succeed with a little hard work and dedication.
___
9/19

Quadruple amputee swims across English Channel

I decided that 42 year-old Philippe Croizon deserves his place in this post.  After suffering the loss of all his limbs to electrocution, you would think Mr. Croizon would be physically limited.  Not so.  Even before undertaking the daunting task of swimming across the English Channel, he parachuted from an airplane!   His book translated into English is titled "I Chose to Live."  This is a motto all of us suffering from any form of disability should learn to live by.  My hats off to you, Philippe Croizon!
___
10/19
Prank Leaves Bride-to-be Paralyzed  (Video from HLN via CNN website)

Next time I want to complain because my joints and muscles are killing me, I will stop myself and come to watch this video.  The young lady, Rachel, said that she wanted to make a difference.  I wish I could tell her that she has with at least one person, me.
___
4/1/2011

I just watched a piece on CNN about a Yankee fan.  But this was not your typical boring baseball enthusiast.  This woman happened to be blind.  Rob Marciano followed her on a three hour journey by subway and sidewalk to her favorite place on earth: Yankee Stadium.  Watching her maneuver through the maze that is NYC with only her guide dog to help her along gave me so much hope.  I hope they post the video on the CNN website soon so that I can share it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment