Baghdad's traffic cops are on militants' hit list
In the above linked article I found on MSNBC this morning, the chaotic and dangerous life of Baghdad traffic cops is described. These men, who are merely trying to direct traffic, have been facing an increase in deadly attacks by enemy insurgents.
While reading this article, I couldn't help but be reminded of the infamous video clips of traffic cops in the US being verbally berated by citizens upset about parking tickets. The worse our men and women on the traffic beat face (usually) is a stream of swears, or disguised rude gestures.
Which makes me wonder (yet again) if all the prepared news releases I read about our "success" in Iraq aren't nearly as accurate as our government makes them out to be. The idea of needing a secondary patrolman, armed with an AK47, to guard the primary one seems a bit extreme. But then when I learned that said enforcement officer is not even issuing citations, but instead just trying to maintain order on the roadways and STILL needs that much protection! I want our troops out of Iraqi as much as most Americans, but we need to be realistic about the mess we are leaving behind.
With 10 Iraqi officers murdered in the past week, I have a lot of respect for the members of Baghdad's traffic control force that show up for work everyday. If we were losing officers at the same rate in the US, I guarantee that no one would label it a success.
___
9/10
The lady discussed in this article is beyond brave. Beyond generous. In the middle of the most dangerous city in North America, she funds a hospital that doesn't turn anyone away. As I read about her, I immediately thought of this post. The courage of Guadalupe Arizpe De La Vega is equal to that of any cop in Iraq. And her kindness far surpasses that of individual I have read about in a very long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment