http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0810/1224276470202.html
As a lover of history, and a long time subscriber to Archaeology Magazine, it has become part of my daily routine to check out the latest news offered by their amazing website. Today, I found the above linked gem from the Irish Times. From what I can gather from the article, there is an island somewhere along the coast of Ireland that once held a 6th century Christian monastery, an even earlier fort, and a lighthouse. An Archaeologist by the name of Gibbons has been exploring this treasure of a place, and has found staircases built into the rock surfaces.
The pictures are unforgettable. Whatever ancient feet walked those paths must have been graced with impeccable precision.
Someday I will go there. I could just imagine taking a sailboat along the coast of this island, searching for hidden remnants of the past.
I am adding SKELLIG MICHAEL's to my list of places I want to visit before I die.
No comments:
Post a Comment