Me

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Too Gay?

I grew up in the 1980-1990's.  I graduated from high school in 1996.  One of my best friends during those tumultuous four years was a gay boy I will call Dave.  His parents didn't understand him.  Our school offered no support programs or clubs for gays.  And, most shockingly, the pop culture of that time offered very few icons homosexuals could look up to.  Besides fashionista and one-hit wonder lyricist Rupaul, I can't think of anyone particularly famous during my teen years that was openly gay.

That is why I was interested when I saw the video link on CNN from Showbiz Tonight titled Too Gay for TV?  I truly believe it is important for media in general to welcome and portray people from all walks of life.  Only by embracing everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, will we ever fulfill the potentials inherent in our great American community.  I have never watched "Modern Family," but from what I gather, it is exactly what my friend Dave could have used to make him feel some sense of normalcy. 

I realize that there is a large contingent of people who do not want homosexuality to be seen as normal.  To them, I say that the veil can only blind society for so long.  Eventually, it will begin to disintegrate, and the truth will become apparent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment