Me

Sunday, September 19, 2010

A New Approach to Prison

Since college a decade ago, I have been out of touch with much of what has been happening in the arena of criminal justice.  What I do remember from my studies made me embarrassed to be an American.  With little rehabilitation and education, and lots of overcrowding and gang violence, our prison system was a disgrace.

This morning, I was glad to find an article on CNN that demonstrates that at least some progress is being made to rehab prisoners in our corrections system.  Though I realize that efforts such as those being made in Maryland at Second Chance Farm are the exception, and not the rule, other prison systems can look to it as a model for success.  We need to start somewhere to reform the revolving door of currently inherent in our flawed system. 

New life for horses. . . with prisoners

I'm sure if I watch, I can find more examples of programs that are working to keep offenders from returning to jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment