Most of the time, I am proud to be an American. Yesterday, I was embarrassed by my country's bigotry. Every Republican on the Senate voted against repealing one of the most discriminatory laws ever enacted: Don't Ask, Don't Tell.
The coverage on what most websites are deeming a Democratic failure, or a Republican victory, is missing the point completely. The entire country lost yesterday.
_
How Democrats lost 'don't ask' repeal (The Upshot via Yahoo)
Senate halts 'don't ask, don't tell' repeal (CNN)
I usually don't quote other people's comments on stories because I can't properly identify the writer. But the following quote by "Gigmaster" on CNN's story, which currently has nearly 375 "likes is worth noting.
"This is such a non-issue! I find it aggravating that our elected officials are wasting so much time and energy on this worthless piece of legislation, when there are so many real problems that need immediate attention.
I am an inactive Marine, and inactive Navy Diver. I am a Vietnam vet. I am about to shock the heck out of all you non-military people:
There have been gay people serving in the military all the way back to the Roman Legions, and beyond. This is nothing new, and everyone in the military knows it. And the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy was stupid from the beginning, because everyone in every military unit already knows who is gay. You know everything about the people you may have to go into combat with, and vice-versa. There are no 'secrets' between military personnel. Not for long, anyway.
And here is another shocker....WE DON"T CARE! When the bullets start flying, the only thing anyone cares about is how good the person in front, behind and to the sides can shoot. And I do my best for them as well, because it's the only way we can all survive in combat. What you did before, or on your own time is irrelevant. All that matters is that you are now a Marine, Soldier, Sailor, or Air Force member, and that everyone else's life may depend on how good you do your job, and you-them.
So like I said....a non-issue,."
I am not in the military, but I have heard folks that are say the same thing as Gigmaster when I ask them about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." It makes me think the biggest victim of our government's continued stupidity may not be homosexuals, but our national image. In the eyes of our allies, we must look awful backwards. We fight for freedom, invade countries to instill democracy, but still can't battle our own demons.
_
Defense Bill Stalls on Procedural Vote, Senate Blocks "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Repeal (Fox)
"It marks the first time in 48 years that Congress will not have passed a defense authorization bill before heading out of town..."
Harry Reid, and the Democratic Senator's decision to tie the "Don't Ask" legislation to funding for the Defense Department will be debated for years. What is obvious is how dead-set Republicans are to prevent the Obama Congress from accomplishing any of it's goals.
-
Failure to Repeal 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell Could Hurt Democrats in Midterms (Newsweek via MSNBC)
"Speculation has turned to how the vote could affect Democratic prospects in the upcoming midterm elections, with LGBT advocates saying that today's disappointment could hurt voter turnout."
I agree. But those that do show up to vote will hopefully forgive Democrats for their recent missteps in trying to push this legislation through. Facing a loss of several seats in November, Democrats saw the vote yesterday as a 'now or never' moment. Personally, I believe Mr. Reid could have tied just about anything to the bill, and the obstinate, unbending minority would have still voted 'No.'
No comments:
Post a Comment