I was perusing this weeks science news, when I happened upon this headline: Development of Tiny Thorium Reactors Could Wean the World Off Oil In Just Five Years. The claim seemed outrageous, and, honestly, after reading the article it is. Five years is way too short of a time frame for a project that doesn't even have a working prototype. But, if the concepts discussed prove to be successful, thorium truly could be the new alternative energy source no one has ever heard of.
Ironically, scientists have seen thorium's potential since the 1940's. But, given everyone's inhibitions regarding nuclear energy following World War II, the ideas surrounding it's use as an energy source never took flight. Now, a British newspaper wants Obama to authorize the US government to invest the nearly $2 billion necessary to kick-start research into thorium. (Obama could kill fossil fuels overnight with a nuclear dash for thorium).
Aker Solutions, a Norwegian company, purchased the patent for the technology necessary to translate thorium into power from Nobel laureate, Carlo Rubbia. A quick search on the stock market reveals that Aker is currently trading for around $70/ share.
I believe that the British newspaper is wrong. Why must a national government fund a project that the public is more than capable of supporting with it's own investment dollars? If enough folks learn the potential benefits inherent in Rubbia's proton accelerator, they theoretically should invest in Aker.
That is not to say that I think the US government should not consider thorium itself. Perhaps NASA scientists would be able to develop a more efficient thorium reactor in a timelier manner than Aker. Overall, I think the positive aspects of this uranium-alternative seem to far outweigh the negatives.
No comments:
Post a Comment