Since getting Dinky, our first cat, I have changed from a dog lover to a cat lover. I have told my husband a thousand times that if I get lucky enough to be rich someday, I would spend my money building a village to house stray cats. Today, I found a man who beat me to it! And, like me, he never liked cats, until one fell into his life.
We got Dinky when my husband's parents divorced. His dad hates cats, so his mother took Dinky to live with the friend she was temporarily staying with. This friend had several other cats, and poor Dinky was petrified of them all. At her biggest, Dinky was no more than eight pounds. Some of the cats she was now forced to share food and litter with were pushing twenty. Eventually, we got a phone call from my mother-in-law begging us to come get Dinky.
I had always had dogs growing up. The only experience I had ever had with cats were not memorable in a good way. One family I babysat for had a cat that wouldn't even let me in the room with it. Another time, I walked by a sleeping cat on a family friends ottoman and got scratched across the arm. But, I had known Dinky before the divorce, and she was different. She was gentle, and friendly, and even slept by Mitsy, my father-in-law's dog. I knew that Dinky just wanted a home to nestle down and sleep peacefully in. How could I say no?
It turns out that Dinky was a wonderful addition to our home. She slept in the nook of my arms every night for the four years we were lucky enough to have her. When her kidneys failed and we had to have her put to sleep, I cried for days. I was so used to having her around, I couldn't stand it.
Dinky died on a Tuesday. That same Friday, we went to the local animal shelter and adopted Kia and Tiffany. Kia is my sweet fat butt, and Tiffany is my husbands little ball of love. If our condo association didn't limit us to two pets, I would adopt a dozen more. I still like dogs, but cats are the most amazing creatures I have ever had the pleasure of intimately knowing. Their independence, elegance, and beauty captivate me. I want to save them all.
That is why when I saw this headline: Man builds cat-sized village for homeless cats, I was so happy tears came to my eyes. When I clicked, the pictures were so precious, and the story so touching that I called my husband that very instant.
"Yeah?" he said, obviously absorbed in his work.
"Honey, if we ever get rich, I want to move to Jacksonville and help at the Caboodle Cat Ranch. You know how I always tell you I want to build a village for cats? Well this guy beat me too it!" I excitedly relayed over the phone.
"That's great honey." he replied, not shooting me down, but obviously not aware how serious I am.
The more I think about it, the more I think it would be good for me. The exercise I would get would help my joints, and the compassion I give to the cats would help my spirit. Plus, Jacksonville is in Florida. No more winters! All I need now is for someone to read this blog and finance my dream! (Hint, Hint)
___
9/25
I have always loved medieval history. Castles, knights, and blacksmiths intrigue me more than just about anything else. That is why I was floored to find out that a gentleman by the name of Michel Guyot has been constructing a real, new 13th century castle for over ten years. Called Guedelon, and located about 100 miles from Paris in France, this archaeological and architectural endeavor is so cool and unique, I just had to include it in this post.
Construction started on the Guedelon in 1997, with a crew of 50 employees. The location chosen for the experiment, an abandoned sandstone quarry, could not have been more perfect. The quarry provides most of the materials needed in the construction process. Only medieval tools and technology are allowed, which means no electricity, excavators, or power tools. The permits required for such a project took a great deal of cooperation between the Guedelon team and the community. The effort has been paying off for everyone in the form of tourism dollars. People from all over the world have heard about the castle under construction, and have driven through the scenic French countryside to see it for themselves.
If I am ever lucky enough to make it to France, Guedelon will definitely be a top on my list of places to visit. You can read all about the castle yourself at the links provided below.
Build A Castle, and They Will Come
Medieval castle being built in French countryside
___
10/2
The Origins of Life (Smithsonian magazine, October 2010)
Bob Hazen is an amazing man. He has led the kind of life I have thus far only dreamed of. When he was a child growing up in Ohio, he collected rocks containing the fossilized remains of million year old creatures called trilobites. I grew up in Wisconsin, and spent hours filling empty ice cream buckets with the same kinds of specimens. His collection is now on it's way to the National Museum of Natural History. Mine is ...probably emptied in the backyard by my parents before they moved to Indiana.
Today, Mr. Hazen is spending his time studying the origins of life. His unique research has found that rocks and minerals may have played the role of matchmaker in the "primordial soup" from which life emerged. My research. . . has resulted in writing about his research.
I idolize Mr. Hazen. I couldn't decide if his story belonged in this post, or under my attempt to collect information for a future sci-fiction novel, "Oh, the Possibilities!" I finally decided to put it here, under the motivational thread "He Beat Me To It" because of the amazing relationship he seems to have with his wife. When he calls her into the room to observe the ducks, I was reminded of all the times I call my husband over to see an amazing picture, or read an incredible article. I only hope our relationship is as seemingly prosperous and sustained as Mr. Hazen's and his wife's.
I must, however, at least elaborate a little on the incredible results his recent research into the origins of life has revealed. Until reading the article linked above, I had always assumed that the existence of life was a long shot; like winning the lottery. But, it turns out that the building blocks of life can be created relatively easily. An experiment conducted in a laboratory in 1952 proved this. The more recent discovery of these same amino acids and other organic material within underwater geothermal vents confirmed it.
But, making these pieces of the puzzle actually fit together is much more difficult. That is where Mr. Hazen's research comes into play. He has proven that rocks may have played the key role of bringing the right "building blocks of life" together. Like modern day nightclubs and bars, the stones scattered on the oceans floor may have been the meeting places for the amino acids that created life on this planet. Interesting stuff, if you ask me!
___
3/9
When I heard about the "Born this Way" blog, I had tears in my eyes. What an amazing idea! If, via photographic evidence, we can prove once and for all that ones sexuality is determined at birth, so many misconceptions can be eradicated. Watch the interview from the CNN story here and make sure to visit the blog itself here.
___
3/27
This story is both heartbreaking, and oddly wonderful. A man in Washington died from a heart-attack while frantically trying to save his wife via CPR. When paramedics arrived, he was slumped over her dead body. Though they were too young for this to happen, (59 and 60) I couldn't think of a better way to go. I always tell my husband that I wouldn't want to go on without him, and what better way to make sure I don't have to then to die trying to save him, or vice versa? I am sure the family of the couple is distraught, but hopefully they can see the Romeo and Juliet like irony of the situation.
___
5/7
Student discovers new virus in ancient cave mud (mother nature network, by Bryan Wilson, 5/3/2011)
The above linked story proves that exploring the worlds hidden places can pay off big-time. To think this virus was lurking in a cave just one state away from where I live is mind blowing.
No comments:
Post a Comment