Livermore lab nears launch of fusion quest
Fusion is going to be in the news a lot over the next couple days. Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, the recipients of $3-$5 billion (depends on who you ask) in tax payer funding is due to meet an important milestone on a quest to create nuclear fusion.
"The facility's primary mission is to ensure the safety and reliability of the nation's aging nuclear weapons stockpile through fusion experiments. If fusion is achieved, it also would open the door for research into unlimited sources of energy, such as using seawater as fuel, and would allow scientists to study celestial phenomena such as supernovas in new ways."
The goal of having "ignition" by the end of September, 2010, is going to fall short. But creating fusion is dangerous business. (Think about hydrogen bombs, and the sun). I, for one, appreciate the step approach currently being implemented. Although their goal was ignition, the fact that they will be working with new materials (deuterium and tritium), putting them on the path to future success, satisfies this tax payer.
I do, however, believe the need for oversight is necessary. I honestly can't believe that Congress would hand this company billions of dollars without writing some sort of independent advisory board into the legislation. Wait a minute. I can believe it. I blame our government, not Livermore Labs, for this shortcoming.
This post will also serve as an independent tracker, on the future of fusion.
___
11/5
When asked what scientific discovery he would like to see in his lifetime, Stephen Hawking replied:
"I would like nuclear fusion to become a practical power source. It would provide an inexhaustible supply of energy without pollution or global warming."
Source: Time Magazine, 11/15/2010
No comments:
Post a Comment