Reading this story about a 16 year old who made his teams winning shot, capping their perfect season, then collapsed and died inspired me to make this post. In memory of Wes Leonard, this thread will serve to track those stories that literally bring me to tears.
___
6/3
This post could easily have fallen into a thread about immigration, or the war on drugs. But, after watching the video in this link, I feel the most appropriate place for this story is right here. By the time it was over, I was fighting back an emotional breakdown.
As a teen, I visited Mexico. It took less than a month for me to fall in love with both the place, and its people. I have often dreamed about retiring on a ranch, much like the one the family in this video lived in before the kidnapping. I don't know that I would even ponder doing so now, considering the violence plaguing almost every corner of the once peaceful nation.
The images in the video are graphic, but I encourage you to see for yourself what our commitment to eradicating drugs has done to our southern border, and its citizens. It doesn't matter which side of the issue you fall on; as an American, you are guilty of what is happening there, and the torture that the man featured in the video endured.
___
9/13/2011
Scores burn to death in Kenya gas fire, police say (MSNBC, 9/12/2011)
The above linked article is probably the most disturbing true story I have ever read. I preserve it here only so that we all can remember how fragile life is, and how lucky we are to have each moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment