Me

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

North Korean Impressions

Last week, Bill Richardson and two journalist (including my personal favorite, Wolf Blitzer) visited the reclusive nation of North Korea.  I have read many articles regarding both the trip, and the nation since.  But this article I found on MSNBC.com is by far the best I have come across yet:  NYT:  Visitors see N. Korea stunted by its isolation.  As I read, I noted several points to share with you, my readers:
  • I couldn't imagine needing a special permit just to step foot in my nations capital, like North Koreans do.  
  • Learning that 310,000 North Koreans subscribe to cell phone service made me contemplate the use of such technology should the populace ever decide to revolt.  Quick communication could be the key to overthrowing the vastly militaristic hierarchy of the North Korean government. 
  • Here are a couple stats I found interesting:  It costs $8.27 per minute to make an overseas phone call from north Korea.  Each North Korean male faces up to 10 years of military service.
  • As I read how destitute the general population was, I couldn't help but be reminded of my negative view of sanctions ability to correct government's agendas.  Then I read this quote, which even further confirmed my opinions:  "Some North Korea analysts warn that unless aid and trade resume, the North may raise cash by selling nuclear technology and materials to Iran, Syria or others — if it has not already."
  • To North Koreans, nuclear weapons are the ultimate defense.  Take this quote from a North Korean maid currently working in China:  "'Nuclear weapons mean we cannot be invaded. I really want to say that. We cannot be touched.'" 

No comments:

Post a Comment