Me

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Video Games, Live! Review

Last night, my husband and I went to Video Games, Live! at the Chicago Theater.  Before I comment on the event itself, I must applaud the staff at the venue for the flawless, kind service they provided.  Compared to our sub-par experience at the Cadillac recently, it was a breath of fresh air to have ushers actually know where our seats, and the bathrooms, were when asked.  I also loved the Greco-Roman architecture and art around every corner, and may have to convince my husband to take me on one of the tours they offer that explains the venue's long history. The only criticism I have about the venue is that two waitresses interrupted the performance to try to sell us drinks.  I do understand the theater needs to profit, but it was annoying.

Now, for the event itself.  There were many positives that deserve mentioning:

-The nostalgia of the whole experience:  As a self-proclaimed "gamer" since the days of the original Nintendo, I felt young at heart, and missed my siblings, who were my victims in "Street Fighter II" and "Sonic the Hedgehog" back in the day.  Seeing clips from so many games I loved (and still do) was worth every penny of my $75, first row, center balcony ticket.  And yes, I did see a small clip from my all-time favorite Nintendo game, "Kid Icarus."  The music I enjoyed the most, oddly enough, was written for games I have never played.  Both "Tron" and The "Chrono Cross" / "Chrono Trigger" series have intriguing and amusing music scores I never would have known about had I not attended this event. I just ordered the two Video Games, Live! CD's from Barnes & Noble, and can't wait to hear what other treasures await.

-Flute Girl:  By far the highlight of the entire show was when Flute Girl performed her Flute Link, and new Flute Mario, live.  Anyone who played the original Zelda or Link will recall using the "fairy flute" to move mountains.  I got tears in my eyes as I remembered how many times I heard this music as a child.  The new Super Mario Brother's version she composed is also cool, and her voice during the operatic solos was beyond amazing. "Flute-Girls" name is Laura Intravia and she deserves to be bumped way up on Video Games, Live!'s website.  Without her, the show would not have been nearly as cool.  She is a star-in-the-making, and I feel privileged to have witnessed her outstanding talents live.

-The orchestra and choir:  First off, the fact that the tour hires local musicians and singers gives them bonus points, in my opinion.  I could tell most of the orchestra members were having fun.  I bet they don't get to play scores like these often.  The head-banging cellist and leg-stomping violinists made me believe they were really into the performance.  I also thought the drummer did an amazing job of keeping the audience entertained by using the his instruments to convey the emotions of each featured game.  During many of the songs, I found myself watching the musicians more than the trio of massive screens.

-Ralph Baer, the man who invented video games:  The Skype interview with the inventor of the first video game, Ralph Baer, and the long lost movie clip of him playing it, were beyond uber.  I felt this bit of history tied perfectly into the event, and was a great example of how Video Games, Live! aptly demonstrates how embedded gaming has become in our society and culture.  In addition, the fact that Mr. Baer is still alive and kicking at 89 (he got two cell phone, and one real phone call during the interview) gives credence to my theory that an active, gaming brain and body keep one young forever.  Look at my 93 year old grandma, who will kick anyone's butt at Wii bowling from her kitchen chair!  The doctors say she is in perfect health, outside of a bum knee.  She has been "gaming" all her life.

-The Comic Relief:  The clips between compositions were sometimes as entertaining as the compositions themselves!  I will NEVER forget Scorpion from "Mortal Combat" pulling Donkey Kong THROUGH the steel beams to an explosive death, then nonchalantly tearing the spine out of the princess.  (And I am keeping the caps, because this story truly deserves them.)

Finally, as a go-between to the things I did not enjoy as much, I would like to briefly describe the costume contest.  The host ushered about ten people onto the stage.  The first was a pair from "Pokemon," the second of which looked like a Japanese child hooker.  The next several were not memorable, but included a Link and another Pokemon.  But then there was Seperoth, the twenty-something fat kid who still lives in his parents basement (we know, my husband and I saw him with them outside before the show).  He threw on a white wig, some hockey shoulder pads, a huge, goth-style black overcoat, and strolled onto the stage acting like one of the sexiest video game villains of all time.  I almost puked.  And the winner?  A five year old kid dressed up like the main dude from "Halo."  (That goes to show that I am 100% right in my ruling of the current video game violence case before the Supreme Court.)

Now, for the not so pleasant parts.  And there were, unfortunately, quite a few.

-The Pre-Show "Music" Sucked:  Even before the show started, I was annoyed.  The continuous bleeps, creeps, and gunshots of an arcade was too much for my sensitive ears to bear!  Fortunately, I spent a large majority of the pre-show festivities in the ladies room (which is another story all together.)  But each time I returned to my seat, I found myself wanting to plug my ears.  Quietly playing music from one of the Video Games, Live! CD would be a much better choice.

-Too much talking, not enough music:  This criticism may seem unfair given how much I enjoyed some of the special guests, and extra information provided.  But, so much of what the host said felt self-indulgent.  I reflected on this overnight, and have come to the conclusion that he really does love video games and music, and there is nothing wrong in "indulging" in those passions by sharing them with others.  That is what I do with my writing every day.  Regardless, the impression of arrogance was still there, and as the gaming community knows well, perception is reality.  Perhaps, since there is a team involved in his production, referring to the endeavor more as "we" then "I" would alleviate some of the narcissistic tendencies I sensed.  (I did some research on the Video Games, Live! website and learned that the host, Mr. Tommy Tallarico, is an icon in the industry for revolutionizing the way sound is heard in games.  He is credited with being the one most responsible for moving the industry away from bleeps and beeps, to real music.  Learning this increases my respect for his influence and passion.  But I still think that he needs to be careful not to come across as too self-righteous.)

-No sweatshirts for sale!  I am so sick and tired of going to events in Chicago and being offered a t-shirt when it is 40 degrees outside!  I brought $50 cash intending to purchase a nice, warm hoody, but found only more dime-a-dozen t-shirts. I even checked the Video Games, Live! website to see if I could purchase one. Of course, there are none available. Booooo!

-The Final Fantasy Clips Sucked:  I waited the entire show for a Final Fantasy remix. When it came, I was thrilled that it was from what I consider to be the best of the series, "Final Fantasy VII."  I absolutely melted into the emotions of the music.  But I was more than ticked off that the clips shown were not from the game I loved.  Sure, the occasional Chocobo was cute, but I wanted pictures from the epic fights, even just shots of riding through the vast terrain on a A ranked Chocobo.  But, instead, it was shots of real people modeling the styles of the characters I love, and in a very sexually explicit manner. As a climax of the show, it was very disappointing.

Overall, I would give the event a 7.25 on a scale of 10.  It felt unpolished at times, and Mr. Tallarico's mind seemed more focused on the half-empty theater then on his dialogue.  In addition he did so much talking throughout the event that the music didn't have time to speak for itself.  The conductor was repeatedly overshadowed by the dude (Mr. Tallarico) playing with his cool guitars.  The video game clips shown were no more than trailers a lot of the time, and when movies seemed to be produced for the event, they did not flow well with the music.  But, so many other aspects, especially the music itself, made up for many of the negatives.  "Flute Girl," Laura Intravia was by far the star of the show, in my opinion, and the reason I gave it a rating of 7.25 and not 5.0. If asked whether I would attend again, I would have to say a 100% yes.  But I would get there later, bring my own sweatshirt, and be prepared for a lot of talking amongst the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment