Me

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Chick-fil-A - A Review

Before I begin my review, let me state that I understand well restaurant nostalgia.  When Culver's first came to Illinois from it's birthplace in Wisconsin, I was ecstatic.  We eat there at least once a month, and I dream about their turtle sundaes.

So, as I sit to write this review of the newest chain to hit our area, Chick-fil-A, I am well aware that I am treading on sacred territory.  Anyone growing up in the South seems to think these joints are the bomb.  I respectfully wish to disagree.  My husband and I went to the new one by our mall at about 3:00 pm on a Wednesday.  We waited in line 10 minutes for spicy chicken sandwiches, fries, and a pop that we could have gotten in 5 minutes from Wendy's next door.  Seriously, I bet they use the same distributor.

Yet, news of new Chick-fil-A's results in bizarre camp outs usually associated with the release of new Star Wars movies.  The added incentive?  A free meal from the solo-protein chain every week for a year.  At least the winners will know what they are going to order before they walk in the door. . .chicken!

The service was friendly, the seating area kept clean.  Even the indoor kiddie playground looked sweet. But I can get all of these features at McDonalds, without having to wait in line forever.  I predict a Krispy Kreme effect takes place, and the location near our mall becomes a mattress store within two years.   I hope I don't get death threats from loyal Chick-fil-A fans for being so pessimistic, but how far can a place really get in the midwest selling JUST chicken?  This isn't Louisiana or Georgia!
___
2/1/2011
Popular chicken chain under fire for anti-gay marriage donations  (The Lookout via Yahoo, by Liz Goodwin, 1/31/2011)

The above linked article, hidden amidst so much crazy news coming out of Egypt (the revolts), Australia (the cyclone and floods), and the Midwest (the blizzard), should be read by all freedom loving, and fast-food consuming Americans.  But, as I know most Americans are pressed for time, I will provide you with the key excerpts:

"The privately owned chain, famous for closing on Sundays in deference to its founder's evangelical Christian values, donates to many Christian causes, scholarships, and organizations through its charitable arm.
But when a Pennsylvania restaurant donated sandwiches and brownies to a Harrisburg meeting of The Pennsylvania Family Group, a group that works to outlaw gay marriage, pro-gay marriage bloggers and gay rights organizations went on the offensive."

This isn't like Target, that donated to a Republican candidate based on his business ideals, who also happened to be anti-gay marriage.  This is a company directly providing its product to a group whose sole purpose is defining marriage as they see fit.  I didn't like the chicken anyway, and haven't been back since I wrote the original review for this thread.  But, I thought it was important for my readers to know where the company stands, so they can make their own decision, be it based on their taste-buds, or morals.
___
2/6

It seems that I am not the only one disgusted by Chick-fil-A's blatant mix of religion and business.  According to this article, the company is facing unexpected resistance to its Christian culture as it attempts to expand beyond the Bible belt. 
___

No comments:

Post a Comment