Every once in a while, I come across a story that literally brings tears to my eyes. My husband says that it is because I am an emotional woman. He is probably right. But, considering I started this blog over three months ago, and this is the first article I found worthy of falling under the title "Stories to Touch Your Heart," I'd say my emotional compass is quite discerning.
Enough about me. The purpose of this thread is to collect articles and stories of profound generosity, extreme bravery, and selfless sacrifice. The first entry I found at Smithsonian's wonderful website. The article is titled "A Yuletide Gift of Kindness." I encourage you to read, and be inspired by the generosity of B. Virdot.
___
12/20
Today, I found another story that definitely qualifies to be put into this thread. It is a video clip I found on CNN about how one frugal, but generous, man left his small town a fortune, helping hundreds of folks lead better lives. All told, the Minnesota farmer who lived in a run down white house, saved, and bequeathed $3 million to the village of Leroy. The senior citizen center no longer needs to charge a quarter for coffee because of him, and the EMT's will have a place to sleep while they are on call. All of this, even after life treated him lousy, stripping him of two wives, and his only son. This story showed me that all of my coupon clipping may really pay off some day! You can watch it here: Frugal farmer leaves millions to town
___
1/14
Inevitably, one of the stories in this post was bound to be at the other end the emotional spectrum at some point. Today is that day. I just read about a 13 year old boy named Jordan. He lived in Queensland, Australia and died in the flash floods and raging inland tsunamis that have been plaguing the area. However, unlike the other victims, he chose to die so that his younger brother could be saved first. His lifelong fear of water makes this act all the more remarkable. To read about young Jordan's heroism, click this link: Australian flood teen's sacrifice to save brother
___
1/15
Pilot holds flight for man going to see dying grandson (CNN, Natalie Avon, 1/14/2011)
Would you risk getting fired to make sure a grandfather got to his dying grandson one last time? A pilot from Southwest Airlines did exactly that, holding a flight at the gate so that a man whose grandson was murdered could get to the hospital in time to say goodbye. It is against most airlines rules to hold a flight for any reason, but, for once, corporate didn't stick to official policy. Instead, Southwest appreciated the severity, and rarity of the situation, and commended the pilot for his moral action. My hats off to both the pilot, and Southwest Airlines, and my condolences to the family of the young victim.
___
5/7
Rookie Cubs PA announcer took strange path to booth, by
I never would have imagined including a story involving baseball when I started this thread. I hate baseball. But I am a sucker for stories involving people's dreams coming true. The above linked story is about the Cubs new announcer, who got the prestigious position after entering, and winning a video contest. The entire story reads like a movie script, and I must admit I had a tear in my eye by the end of it. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did!
___
5/20
Cat finds owner during interview (CNN Video, WIAT, 5/19/2011)
As an animal lover, I couldn't help but click the link you see above. I wasn't prepared for the devastation of the first minute of the video. The "owner" had lost nearly everything during the series of tornadoes that hit Alabama this spring. And she had only been able to find two of her three cats.
That is, until a scraggly ten year old feline came waltzing out of the wreckage while the camera crew was still taping. Well, not exactly waltzing. He had not eaten in a nearly a month, and was covered with pieces of debris. But he was alive. And the way his paws dug into his owners arm, in that unmistakeable gesture of affection all cat-owners recognize, was a sure sign he was glad to be reunited with his master. This story is definitely one that touched my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment