Having just read the story of a man accused of terrorism for tweeting misinformation about a school shootings in Mexico, I must say my mind is reeling. Though I believe the charge is far too trumped up, I also believe he should be held accountable for spreading mass panic. Regardless of whether he initiated the rumors or simply spread them, he did so without any first hand knowledge of the events. Furthermore, he didn't even bother to clarify his suspicions by simply turning on the television or radio.
I do not think jail time is warranted. Calling him a terrorist only serves to nullify the horribleness associated with the term. And I do not think Mr. Vera acted alone. I believe he was simply one of many spreading the lie that resulted in 26 car crashes.
The right punishment should involve a modest fine, and possibly a permanent label on Twitter revealing Mr. Vera's, and his fellow accomplices, willingness to propagate false information. Maybe a "Cry Wolf" or "Sky is Falling" icon.
In the end, as viewers of the internet's vast stores of information, it is up to us as consumers to always remember to take everything we read with a grain of salt.
No comments:
Post a Comment