Me

Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Death Penalty

My position on the death penalty is unique.  I am not opposed to killing convicted felons who do not deny their guilt.  But I am firmly against taking the life of any individual who proclaims innocence.  I am sure future stories will provide the opportunity for me to delve further into this viewpoint.  But, for now, I would like to change the focus of this post to what prompted me to start this thread.

On every news site I have visited this morning, I have found the same thing: a headline proclaiming Anneliese MacPhail's desire to see the execution of Troy Davis take place because of the peace his death will bring her.  I think this logic is twisted, and Ms. MacPhail is going to be sorely disappointed.  How can the death of another human being be enough to compensate for her son?  Mr. Davis's death isn't going to bring her child back.  Instead, his death is only going to inflict more suffering on Mr. Davis's family, also innocent bystanders in this nightmare.  Instead of peace, I am afraid Ms. MacPhail will be filled with guilt, remorse, and the same seemingly endless emptiness that only forgiveness can alleviate.

No comments:

Post a Comment