I love reading about our world's most unexplored places, like the depths of the ocean. I try to keep up on the latest climate news as well. That is why I was shocked to learn that the world's small fish populations are not doing as well as we had thought. According to an article from New Scientist by Debora Mackenzie,* our belief that anchovies and other tiny species will always thrive due to their great birth numbers and short gestation period is causing them to actually decline. Their supposed safety has led to few research dollars going towards studying them, and thus no real management is taking place.
Knowledge is power, If we can spread the word that our favorite pizza topping to hate is not as safe as we thought, perhaps we can save the anchovy from further danger.
*Stay of execution for world's fish stock
No comments:
Post a Comment