Texan builds artful, green homes out of trash (by Angela Morris)
I love re-using and recycling. Anytime I can save a twist-tie from a bread bag, or re-use a bag to clean the litter-box, I am happy. But my recycling creativity stops there. When I saw a picture on Yahoo's picture section of a fairytale home created entirely out of recycled materials, I was intrigued. I followed one of the links on the bottom, and found the above linked story and pictures.
Though I am not a beer-drinker, I can respect the "Beer House" couple's passion for the beverage, and willingness to be different. "The home doesn't look exactly like a beer can, but the exterior keeps the red, white and blue coloring and the symbolism -- stars and Hops blossoms -- you'll find on the Budweiser label."
The Hansel and Gretel house is much more my style. I also think the builder's focus on renewable energy and high-efficiency appliances is awesome. "[E]ach house is highly energy efficient with ample insulation, an on-demand solar hot water heater and a catchment system that recycles rainwater to flush the toilet and wash clothes."
The amount of waste diverted from landfills since this program began is incredible:
"Large, wholesale companies avoid costly disposal fees by sending Phillips 18-wheeler trucks loaded with lumber, tile and granite. Local residents also donate old fixtures like doors and bathtubs after remodeling their homes. Phillips helped the city of Huntsville start a program called Trash Into Plowshares in 2003 after being overwhelmed with donations. The materials are stored in a city warehouse and distributed for free to low-income residents and nonprofits to make building improvements."
I encourage you to click the link above, view the photos, and then read the story. Even if an entirely recycled home is a little too out there for your personal style, maybe you will get the itch to be creative next time you remodel your bathroom or kitchen. I know I was! I can't wait to talk to my husband about this: "a bathroom with its walls, floor and ceiling entirely paved in mirror shards."
No comments:
Post a Comment